About the role:
We are looking for a Director of Engineering for our Game team. You'll be responsible for managing the engineers and front-line managers on the Game Subscription product teams. Reporting directly to the VP of Engineering, you’ll manage multiple engineering managers and ensure they and their teams are successful - measured by continual improvement and overall delivery of business needs. You’ll help cascade best practices for the engineering organization to your teams, as well as look for opportunities for your teams to incubate ideas, find learnings, and share with the broader organization.
You’ll be accountable for growing your team, both through hiring a diverse team, as well as coaching your team to take on more responsibility. To do so, this means you’ll cascade responsibility and help support your teams’ managers in doing the same for their teams.
Zwift is the fitness company born from gaming, and we’re on a mission to make More People. More Active. More Often. The Zwift platform mixes the intensity of training with the immersive and engaging play of gaming. Ride or run virtual worlds with a motivating community in over 195 countries and counting! Launched from the sunny shores of Long Beach, California in 2014, we have grown to over 300 Watopians (that’s what we call our employees) and have locations in New York and London.
Not anywhere close to those cities or interested in relocating? Ask us about a remote option. We are willing to consider remote opportunities where it makes sense because we’re here to disrupt the fitness industry!
Some reasons we think you will love it here:
We are a creative, innovative, and passionate team. Where world-class talent can do their best work while having fun. Elevating teammates and looking within to always level up is deep in Zwift's DNA. Zwift's inclusive, "One Zwift for All" value is something that is worked on daily. And bringing your authentic voice is expected. Whether you’re a current Zwifter, at the beginning of your fitness journey, or neither one of these, there is a place for you here. Ready to join our growing community?
How we’re handling Covid-19:
We are beyond grateful to continue to grow as a company during this unusual time. Our #1 priority is ensure the health, safety, and sanity of our current and future Watopians. We want to share with you what we’re doing and what you can expect.
Since March, all of our Watopians have been working remotely and will continue to do so until we know it is safe to collaborate in person again. As you go through the virtual interview process, don't be alarmed if children or pets make a guest appearance. We won't think twice if we get to meet any members of your family. If we are fortunate to welcome you to the team, we will get you all the necessary equipment, hardware, and furniture needed to get you ergonomically set up and productive at home.
Work From Home (WFH) life can be challenging in many ways. We have and will continue to take steps that ease some of the burden for our Watopians including:
- Monthly stipends to help offset additional expenses incurred with WFH
- Access to mental health & wellness resources including headspace, unmind, and Spring Health.
We care about you as our candidate too, so let your Talent Engagement Partner know if there’s anything we can do to make your interview process go more smoothly. We are in this together and always looking for ways to enhance our new interview experience.
What you’ll do:
- Accountable for building and organizing a world-class engineering team through hiring and coaching a diverse team.
- Support other engineering managers and ensure they have highly functional, healthy teams.
- Help your teams keep and retain our top talent.
- Build realistic project plans, align across teams with respect to deliverables, proactively identify risks and develop mitigation plans.
- Define and drive key success metrics and communicate progress to executive stakeholders.
- Identify, spearhead, and drive successful initiative-wide improvements (i.e. improving our engineering hiring pipeline, standardizing best practices in project planning, improving our cross-functional collaboration, etc).
Work with engineers and product managers to scope and plan projects.
What we're looking for:
- Game industry experience is required.
- BS in Computer Science, MBA, or other relevant work experience.
- 5+ years of relevant engineering management experience, including leading multiple teams.
- Experience leading other managers with a track record of successfully improving front-line managers in their craft.
- Experience managing remote and distributed teams.
- Proven experience leading agile teams using modern agile methodologies like Scrum and Kanban.
- Excellent communication skills with both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Willingness to roll up your sleeves and do whatever it takes to help your team win.
- Self-motivation to deliver results and seek continuous improvement.
- Experience in video gaming or health & fitness industries
- Experience working with external partners
- Passion for cycling, running and/or fitness
- Experienced Zwifter
Some Reasons We Think You'll Love It Here:
- Fast-growing, collaborative environment. Your job will never get boring!
- Awesome team of talented individuals who love what we do
- Employee perks and benefits including a fitness program and fantastic industry discounts
- Amazing office locations with killer views
- Did we mention that we encourage you to workout at work...Zwift, run, yoga….we’re in!
Of course, we are nothing without our Values to ground us and ensure we run and build a Company where people love to work, feel like they are welcomed, included, and belong. Only then, can they thrive and do their best work. The Values we strive to live every day:
- Make It Fun,
- Elevate Teammates,
- Cultivate Our Community,
- Always Level Up,
- One Zwift for All
We strongly believe that different backgrounds and ideas are a competitive advantage; we hire candidates of any race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, marital or family status, disability, Veteran status, and any other status. Zwift is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by emailing [email protected]
Zwift, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer.