Director, Engineering at Inspire
Inspire’s Engineering team is seeking a seasoned leader for the Consumer Team. The Consumer team is responsible for the applications that provide engagement mechanisms for our customers. As such, the Consumer team is blazing the trail on the future of bringing clean energy to all, as well as building world-class infrastructure to scale these experiences to millions of users. The multi-disciplinary consumer team consists of product, product design, engineering and data science who work closely to solve the consumerization of the energy markets.
The goals of the Consumer team are twofold: To ensure that more people can gain access to affordable clean energy and build a world class consumer product that helps customers take control of their power. The components of the consumer team are: core product experiences, growth (acquisition), utility integrations and account management.
Together these comprise a very significant part of the customer experience at the heart of Inspire's infrastructure. The team is also at the nexus of the many sides of the business with deep touch points across the organization and cross-functional stakeholders.
THE DIRECTOR OF ENGINEERING HAS SIX MAIN RESPONSIBILITIES
- In partnership with our Sr. Director of Consumer Products and other leaders, develop and guide the implementation of Inspire’s Engineering strategy, process, and team design.
- Apply superior technology skills to help the Engineering team unblock and execute at an extremely high level.
- Lead and develop the Consumer Engineering team of 10+ engineers and support them in the delivery process of Inspire’s products.
- Partner with Inspire’s People Team and company leadership on career development, recruitment and hiring.
- Represent Engineering at the company level through cross functional collaboration between Inspire’s Technology, Operations, Marketing & Commercial teams.
- Maintain a culture that adheres to Inspire’s values of focusing on our vision, using good judgment, and providing leadership.
SOME YEAR 1 DELIVERABLES
- Launch & Optimize Core Consumer Product
- Modernize our core infrastructure
- Build career development plan for direct reports
- Bring in high performing engineers onto the team
- Development Velocity
- Milestone and execution dates
- Retention and recruitment
- System performance and uptime
- Ability to inspire and lead team to continually perform at their highest level
- Domain knowledge/background in e-commerce; knowledge of order management and payments is a big plus
- Superior verbal and written communication skills
- Previous experience leading teams at hyper growth companies
- Must Have
- 10+ years of combined engineering experience; ideally starting as an individual contributor, then transitioning to senior management roles.
- Proven ability to lead engineering teams; a track record of success working with Product and Leadership teams to push development forward.
- Experience shaping the tech stack and architectural decisions in prior roles in a hands-on capacity.
- Experience scaling engineering teams and infrastructure at a fast-growing startup.
- Ability to set a high bar for engineering efforts and build a world class, diverse engineering team.
- Experience promoting engineering best practices across teams: code review processes, alerting and monitoring, architectural right sizing, etc.
- Ability to engage on architectural discussions and determine tradeoffs and drive discussion towards decisions.
- Nice to Have
- Ability to review code to determine quality and areas for improvement.
- Deep expertise in building software platforms, specifically performant distributed systems, leveraging modern frameworks.
- Well versed in modern cloud native technologies and frameworks. Recent experience with AWS, GCP, or Azure. Hands on experience a bonus.
- Knowledgeable about industry trends, best practices, and change management.