Director of Engineering at Clutter
Clutter is an on-demand, technology company based in Los Angeles that is disrupting the $50B/year self-storage and moving industries. We’ve built an end-to-end logistics and supply chain platform, enabling us to offer consumers a much more convenient solution at price parity with the incumbents. We’ve raised $300M from a number of VCs, including Softbank, Sequoia Capital, Atomico and GV (formerly Google Ventures). We have 750+ team members and tens of thousands of customers in 7 major markets across the US with plans to be in 50+ markets, domestically and internationally, within the next 5 years!
At Clutter, we're fortunate to be providing a consumer value proposition that people love and one that makes economic sense - a true product/market fit that few startups ever find. To deliver on our promise to consumers, team members and investors, we've focused on hiring, training and retaining exceptional individuals. This means that we have a very thorough interview process and maintain high performance expectations, but we'll always be transparent with you and respectful of your time.
As Director of Engineering you will oversee technical business strategy and focus on building multiple new engineering teams from the ground up with strong vision and clear mandate. In addition to having technical knowledge of core engineering fields, you understand how all the pieces fit together into integrated systems, and how they impact performance.
You bring deep technical skills within a specific domain and excellent communication skills, a focused and empathetic approach to leadership, and a bold and action-biased attitude toward hard engineering problems.
What you'll do:
- Recruit, hire and build out cross-functional technical teams.
- Establishing a culture of high productivity, collaboration and big impact, and empowering each team to bring their vision to life.
- Understand Clutter’s business problems and advance our architecture to solve these problems at scale. You’ll be taking the business and product roadmap and coming up with specific teams to hire, apps and platforms to create, and timelines for putting everything together.
- Evangelize and represent your teams, their vision, product roadmap and results to both internal and external stakeholders. You’ll also need to understand the current business objectives and get PMs, engineers, and other cross-functional members aligned and excited.
What we're looking for:
- BS or MS degree in Computer Science
- A growth mindset and a bias towards action. You thrive in the ambiguity of a fast-paced startup and can adapt with changing priorities of a scaling technology organization.
- Domain Expertise in an area such as supply chain, logistics, payments, or growth and past experience having helped a specific part of a business scale using that domain expertise.
- Experience implementing core business strategies with technology by creating processes that scale, advancing architecture, and developing roadmaps.
- Prior experience recruiting, interviewing, and hiring cross-functional technical teams coupled with strong management and people development skills. You’ll need to delegate intelligently, deliver frequent and honest feedback, and unblock and mentor engineers for growth opportunities at Clutter while delivering results.
Clutter is committed to fostering a fair, inclusive, and equal work environment. We strive to create a workplace that reflects the communities that we serve, where each team member is empowered to come to work as their true self. Diverse teams are more successful, which is why Clutter aims to be a leader in workplace equality and move both our company and the industry forward.