As Director of Engineering, Operating Model, you will have a unique opportunity to design and develop core data warehousing functions, pricing capabilities, forecasting processes (focused on the customer lifecycle and energy usage), and machine learning applications to fuel Inspire’s top-line growth. Working with the Commercial Strategy team, you will develop and execute strategic initiatives for evolving our data, pricing and forecasting platform on both 3rd-party software and internally built applications.
In this role, you’ll be at the center of the growth and lifetime value strategy at Inspire. You will partner with product, design, strategy, marketing, finance and cross-functional development teams such as infrastructure and security to analyze, measure and improve the process and capabilities of each team, and execute on high-quality projects and programs. Continuous, broad communication and relentless enthusiasm for problem solving is a must in this role. You are highly agile and someone who thrives in the face of ambiguity. You love to straddle the line between the technical nuances and the strategic nature of a wide-array of challenges that face our business on a daily basis.
THE DIRECTOR OF ENGINEERING, OPERATING MODEL HAS FIVE MAIN RESPONSIBILITIES
- Manage the engineering function that supports our Operating Model system.
- Develop products and strategies that drive critical KPIs including cost, margin, growth and retention objectives across Inspire’s member portfolio.
- Design and implement capabilities that provide critical business insight and continuously improve on our various forecasting models and pricing effectiveness.
- Lead the scoping, design and implementation of cutting edge machine learning-based applications that measure accuracy, provide insight and drive continuous improvements across customer lifecycle pricing, customer lifetime value, energy forecasts, cost and revenue.
- Create critical tools for Inspire leadership to make better-informed decisions at both the strategic and operational level with regards to portfolio pricing and forecasting performance.
SOME 2020 DELIVERABLES
- Deliver the Operating Model system
- Manage the product roadmap: Develop and execute strategic initiatives for evolving our Pricing and Forecasting platform on both 3rd-party software and internally built applications.
- Collaborate with finance, commercial strategy, analytics and data engineering to define and map business requirements to strategic initiatives. Ensure that roadmap decisions are driven by an understanding of what will move the needle now and in the future.
- Work cross-functionally to define, develop and ship capabilities for personalized pricing.
- Make a significant impact on forecast accuracy across key growth areas: energy usage and customer lifecycle.
- Assess 3rd party capabilities across the forecasting and pricing ecosystem to inform Inspire’s roadmap.
- Progress on defining and executing roadmaps.
- Meeting launch dates for critical business objectives.
- Ensuring that products released are performant, stable and scalable in line with Product Line KPIs:
- Pricing and Forecasting system availability.
- Pricing and Forecasting accuracy.
- Pricing and Forecasting system designed for scalability into future markets, partners, products and capabilities.
- Empower a net lift in pricing effectiveness, forecast accuracy and lifetime value, which will lead to increased efficiency and throughput of the finance and strategy organizations.
- Technical Leadership - Comfort in a variety of environments, languages, frameworks and architectures. Able to balance the best solutions available with shipping code when it matters. Willing to coach and guide fellow engineers with best practices and constructive feedback.
- You Love Data - Success in this role requires a mastery of large, complex datasets, and the desire to immerse yourself and establish the context necessary to understand how data represents the applications, services or external sources that created it, as well as how it relates to the business problems it can solve.
- Learning Machine - You consume and distill new information voraciously. We should feel like we would have a hard time keeping up with you and be compelled to level up our game as a consequence.
- Systems Thinker - You can reason from first principles to parse signal from noise, extrapolate underlying patterns, choose appropriate levels of abstraction and see how the big picture comes together to solve problems and create value at scale.
- Foresight - You are able to balance the needs of the present without jeopardizing or constraining optionality in the future. You can play out the iterative path forward despite unknowns, and aim for the best outcomes in the near term without making a habit of cutting corners.
- Must Have
- 5+ years experience with SQL and Python
- 3+ years owning data infrastructure with experience in database architecture, schema design, and performance optimization
- 3+ years experience as a team leader or manager
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills - especially in creating detailed business requirements.
- Prior experience designing and implementing internal pricing and forecasting applications, and / or data solutions i.e. SAP, Oracle, Microsoft, Amazon, Google or homegrown / hybrid equivalent.
- Bachelor's degree in economics, finance, engineering, business or mathematics.
- Nice to Have
- MBA or pursuing an MBA.
- CS degree or equivalent experience in software development.
- Familiar with the latest machine learning technologies, including numpy/scipy, scikit-learn, Tensorflow/Keras, Spark.
- Prior experience implementing machine learning based applications for complex organizations.
- Familiarity with subscription-based consumer electronics businesses and Saas metrics.
- Prior experience in the energy industry within the portfolio, finance or product organizations.