DevOps Manager at Relativity Space
Team and Role Overview
We are looking for a DevOps Manager to join our rapidly growing team at our headquarters in Long Beach, CA. As a DevOps Manager at Relativity, you will provide technical and team leadership for the DevOps and infrastructure programs that facilitate all aspects of corporate services, rocket design, rocket manufacturing, and launch and control systems. You will be responsible for all areas involving IT infrastructure, DevOps, and Site Reliability. Your player-coach approach will bring together the best of state of the art technical solutions, team building and leadership, and hands-on delivery of solutions to complex technical challenges.
You are passionate about technology and people, and bring a thought leader mindset to all automation, infrastructure, and architectural challenges. You are able to investigate and resolve technical problems yourself, while setting priorities and providing guidance to a team that supports a very rapidly growing, multi-site organization. You will manage and grow the DevOps and IT infrastructure teams at Relativity, and report to the Director of IT.
The Mission/Outcomes and Objectives
To help us revolutionize the way rockets are built and flown, as the DevOps Manager at Relativity, you will
- Enhance Relativity’s execution and agility by defining, delivering, and supporting strategic plans for implementing next generation information technologies that support our rapid growth across multiple sites.
- Create roadmaps, develop and execute strategic plans for major IT projects across DevOps, SRE, networking, and information security.
- Build and lead teams that design scalable and efficient solutions to complex and large scale challenges.
- Accomplishes financial objectives by forecasting requirements; assists in preparing an annual budget; scheduling expenditures; analyzing variances; initiating corrective action.
- Maintains quality services by establishing and enforcing organization standards whilst identifying and acting on opportunities to improve and update processes, software and systems.
- Partner with our Enterprise Architecture, Software Development, and Infrastructure resources to implement solutions that meet all critical functional needs, and optimizes the trade-off between buy and build.
- Establish and continuously improve processes and standards to ensure DevOps and IT address operates resource-efficiently, and at scale.
To be successful in this role, you should have 5+ years of experience in DevOps management, ideally in a mid-to-large sized, hyper-growth environment at a cutting edge technology company. Prior experience working across various DevOps systems, applications and infrastructure (including cloud), and a deep passion for delivery of elegant and robust solutions are critical. You have proven in past roles that you can take existing IT and DevOps processes and systems and elevate their performance to create positive impact from day one. Even as an astute team Manager, you are a technical DevOps engineering subject matter expert.
You are always exploring ways to improve your team’s results, you effectively engage with functional experts, and you show outstanding customer orientation by providing support and guidance to all stakeholders. You are a passionate team lead that continuously wants to develop your team and improve their performance. You thrive in ambiguous environments, are passionate about building structure from scratch (and from code), and have an unrelenting focus on excellent results. You are a visionary, eager to identify opportunities for improvement and drive delivery of elegant solutions to complex challenges across the enterprise.
Minimum Required Skills and Competencies
- Minimum of 5 years of experience as a DevOps lead/manager in a super-fast paced startup or other dynamic, high-growth company environment.
- Expertise in Information Technology Architecture (DevOps, shared services infrastructure, cloud services, networking, security).
- Experience defining and scaling DevOps practices and tools at a very rapid pace.
- Ability to triage short-term fixes while developing long-term solutions.
- Outstanding communication and influencing abilities, paired with strong team leadership.
- Always an enthusiastic team player with a strong drive to create a positive work environment.
- Comfortable with high-volume workload and self-driven prioritization.
- IaC everywhere, Software-Defined everything.
- Motivate your team to consistently deliver at a high pace and meet deadlines.
- Balance and prioritize team workload across innovation, engineering support, infrastructure buildout, and tech debt.
- Hands on experience with containerization, AWS or Azure, configuration management, Atlassian tools, automation pipelines, large scale data and analytics, Ansible, and monitoring systems.
- Demonstrated competence in architectural design.
- Proven track record of recruiting, building, and developing very high functioning teams.
Preferred Skills and Competencies
- You demonstrate thought leadership mindset to enable a high performance and hyper-growth environment, and operate highly effectively at the tactical level.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills - including the ability to communicate with people in multiple locations in a high-touch, personalized manner.
- Significant experience engaging with vendors and outside contractors to meet organizational objectives.
- Experience with a scripting language or other programming languages, interfacing with APIs.
- 5+ years in a management role, preferably in DevOps or Site Reliability, over a team or teams managing significant infrastructure.
- 5+ years of hands on experience as a DevOps or SRE Engineer.
- Direct knowledge of ISO, NIST 800.181, or FedRAMP compliance.
- A passion for creating a culture of inclusiveness and compassion.
- A history of leveraging data to objectively measure impact and optimize people / engineering processes.
- You feel at home communicating & driving change management & adoption of key program management principles.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.