Greater LA Area
About the Position
As the DevOps Lead at ChowNow, you will be a key contributor to high-level platform architecture for our systems. You will help improve platform stability and scalability, implement deployment pipelines, monitor and troubleshoot issues, implement security, and be a guide for DevOps best practices. Most importantly, you will mentor, motivate, encourage and lead your team to success, by finding growth opportunities, providing constructive feedback, and combining challenge and support to get the best out of your colleagues.
ChowNow is the ordering platform dedicated to helping local restaurants grow and compete in a sustainable way. At ChowNow, we’re driven by one purpose: to help local restaurants thrive — by helping diners discover their delicious creations and helping restaurants connect with customers new and old.
ChowNow powers branded online ordering systems for independent restaurants across the US — via restaurants’ own websites, on Facebook and Google pages, through ChowNow-created apps, and via ChowNow’s website— while also providing our restaurant partners key customer insights and marketing support.
This position is located in the Playa Vista neighborhood and tech hub of Los Angeles — just a few minutes from both the beach and the freeways. We believe in equal opportunity for all, and you should, too. We’ve been named a Best Place to Work, have been certified as a Great Place to Work, and have a whole bunch of happy employees on Glassdoor!
This is a 50/50 management and hands-on role. You will be reporting to the VP of Engineering.
Within 30 Days, You'll...
- Complete the ChowNow New Hire Ramp Camp.
- You will learn about major feature areas of our applications and infrastructure and their development and deployment patterns.
- Join the Engineering Leadership team sessions.
- Start 1:1s with your team.
Within 60 Days, You'll...
- You will work with engineering leadership to plan the prioritized roadmap of DevOps and Infrastructure projects.
- You will share responsibility for defining, sharing, and achieving team and individual KPI goals.
- You will take full ownership of parts of our infrastructure.
Within 90 Days, You'll...
- You will extend your ownership of infrastructure tools and processes.
- You will have an understanding of what skills the team needs, and participate in recruiting activities.
- You will be able to shape the DevOps roadmap by proposing new projects and defining priorities.
Within 6 Months, You'll...
- You will contribute to building world-class monitoring, alerting, and logging.
- You will be the primary representative for all things infrastructure and DevOps at ChowNow, helping to transform our platform using microservices.
- You will help us walk through PCI level 1 compliance assessment.
You Should Apply If:
- You have at least 5 years of hands-on experience in infrastructure management, with 3+ years experience as a technical leader.
- You have deep AWS knowledge, including EC2, RDS, Route 53, and auto-scale, and hands-on experience running highly available MySQL, ElasticSearch, or Redis.
- You know how to partner within software engineering teams to build and support products in an Agile environment.
- You are a thoughtful mentor and leader who loves supporting your team and collaborating with others to achieve great things.
- You are proficient in at least one programming language, Python preferred.
- You have a solid understanding of Linux operating systems, ideally Debian or Ubuntu, and networking fundamentals.
- You have knowledge of at least one of the major configuration management and automation frameworks (Ansible/Terraform preferred).
- You have experience setting up and maintaining monitoring, alerting and logging.
- You have built CI/CD pipelines, qa/development environments and related tools.
- You have worked on scalable systems, preferably in e-commerce or consumer-facing websites.
- You have familiarity with modern virtualization techniques and container management solutions such as Docker.
About Our Benefits:
- Competitive salary
- Ongoing training and growth opportunities
- A "best place to work" winner multiple times where we focus on creating a great employee experience
- Rock solid medical, dental, and vision plans
- 3 weeks paid vacation; paid holidays; we expect you to work hard, but still enjoy your personal life
- 6 weeks of baby bonding time for all new parents (within the first year of birth or adoption), 6 Weeks of Paid Pregnancy Leave
- Employer-contributing student loan assistance program
- Commuter benefits (including Uber Pool)
- Employee Stock Incentive Plan
- Quarterly Industry Speakers Series
- Quarterly Tech Events (Women, LGBTQ, Diversity, Inclusion)
- Consistent & fair leadership: we’ll share info, set clear goals, show you respect, and treat everyone fairly
- Enough freedom to spread your wings while still holding you accountable
- Fully stocked kitchen and cold brew on tap
We are committed to an inclusive and diverse work environment. ChowNow is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any legally protected status.
Read Full Job Description