Design Engineering Manager
The Hyperstructures team is responsible for design and development of the backbone infrastructure, portals, and mechanisms that make travel on the transportation system of the future possible. As Design Engineering Manager, you will provide strategic vision and leadership to the Mechanisms group within Hyperstructures and have oversight and accountability for all aspects of mechanism design and development - from small components to large, complex assemblies. We are seeking an experienced candidate with a broad skillset to join our team of qualified, diverse individuals at our Los Angeles facility.
- Responsible for design, development, testing, and delivery of all Hyperstructures mechanisms for the first commercial Hyperloop production system.
- Lead, grow, mentor, and maintain a team of engineers across several sub-departments by drawing on years of mechanical design expertise and management skills.
- Generates and tracks development schedules to ensure milestone deliverables are met while ensuring budget and quality targets are achieved.
- Able to use design experience and strong first principals understanding to create, change, and review designs.
- Principal technical interface to Program Lead for communicating development progress, negotiating requirements, and briefing on engineering issues.
- Support cross-functional teams to ensure components are designed and available for builds and testing.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Track record of successfully leading large cross-functional teams
- Experience managing vendor and customer relationships
- Track record of scaling a company between stages
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Highly self-motivated and directed
- Keen attention to detail
- Proven analytical and problem-solving abilities
- Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a fast-paced, ambiguous environment
Candidates who also relate to these values are highly encouraged to apply:
- Accountability: Trustworthy and straightforward, you live by your handshake
- Audaciousness: Passionate and bold, you are fearless about speaking up
- Curiosity: You are inquisitive, challenging assumptions and asking “why”
- Get Sh*t Done: The ultimate doer, you are a maker, builder, tinkerer
- Grit: Ambitious and tenacious, you are driven and determined to succeed despite challenges
- Integrity: Honest and ethical, you promote transparency and fairness
MINIMUM REQUIRED EXPERIENCE:
- B.S. in Mechanical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, or equivalent experience
- Proficient in ASME Y14.5 GD&T
- Strong working knowledge of relevant manufacturing processes and a variety of engineering materials (hands on experience preferred)
- Demonstrated ability to develop innovative design solutions to complex engineering tasks
- Strong understanding of Design for Manufacturing (DFM) for cost-effective production
- Experience leading cross-functional engineering teams and developing staff, including performance and compensation management, proven mentoring and coaching skills, managing conflict, and administering performance plans as needed
- CAD design experience
- Demonstrated ability to manage difficult projects with tight timing constraints
- Strong fundamental understanding of first principles and some finite element analysis knowledge, with experience applying them to the design of complex systems
- Experience developing a product from concept to production
- Excellent project management experience
- 15+ years of professional experience with 5+ years of experience leading engineering teams
- Advanced degree (MS or PhD) in Aerospace Engineering, or similar field
- Experience as responsible design engineer of a complex system from concept to detailed design to manufacturing, validation & verification, and final installation
- Professional Engineer (PE) license
- Project Management Professional (PMP) certification
- Product development in a start-up environment
- Experience in fabrication and/or installation of complex structures
- Experience with regulatory certification of engineering products
Hyperloop One is an Equal Employment Employer; employment is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other protected status. Hyperloop One will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with the “Ban the Box” legislation. We may access publicly available information as part of your application. For full information on how your personal information will be stored and processed, please click here.
To all recruitment agencies: Virgin Hyperloop One does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, Virgin Hyperloop One employees or any other company location. Virgin Hyperloop One is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.