Battery Cell Engineer at Virgin Hyperloop One
The Power Electronics division is responsible for conceptualizing, designing, building, and testing the electrical power components in the Hyperloop system. These components include variable frequency drives for propulsion and levitation, energy storage systems, cable assemblies, power systems, and the associated control hardware and control algorithms. We are seeking a battery engineer at our Los Angeles facility to join our diverse and experienced team in designing High Voltage battery packs for one of the most challenging transportation applications on Earth.
THE ROLE (what you are accountable for):
- Battery electrochemistry analysis, performance trade-off analysis, cell selection, and develop test plan for battery characterization.
- Study battery aging characteristics
- Study battery failure modes and root cause analysis
- Develop battery cell electrochemical, thermal, aging, and failure models to support battery module and pack designs
- Support BMS design and algorithms to estimate state of charge, state of health, and dynamic power limits.
- Support failure mode effect analysis for HV battery systems.
- Work in a collaborative and multi-disciplinary team environment, ensure timely completion of assigned tasks, and facilitate project partnerships
- Team oriented: you are comfortable and energized by working in a team with a wide variety of backgrounds and skillsets. You welcome constructive feedback and different perspectives. You desire to truly understand the goals and needs of your teammates.
- A learner: you’re always eager to learn new skills; faced with a new challenge, you apply considerable research skills and diligence to figure it out, though you’re humble enough to ask for help when needed.
- Dynamic and creative: you thrive in a fast-paced environment where several interdependent technologies are being developed simultaneously. You welcome the challenge of generating ideas and performing analysis based on inputs and requirements that are subject to change.
REQUIRED MINIMUM EXPERIENCE
- B.S. in chemical engineering or battery material science
- Strong knowledge and hands-on experience with advanced lithium-ion battery cells and systems
- Experience with battery electrical & thermal characterization tests
- Experience with battery electrochemical and aging models, and model calibration based on test results
- Knowledge in thermal dynamics
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Experience with battery modeling software tools, such as Matlab/Simulink, FEA and CFD models.
- Experience developing a product from concept to production
- Design and analysis of automotive battery packs
- Experience with root cause analysis of failed battery packs and deriving mitigation strategies
- Knowledge of battery safety standards