The aero-thermal team is responsible for the analysis, design, and testing of aerodynamic and thermal subsystems for the Hyperloop transportation system. These include a variety of moving and stationary components including the pod, the electric propulsion, the electromagnetic levitation, the de-pressurization pumps, the re-pressurization valves, the airlocks and air-docks, the on-board and off-board power electronics, the tubes, the pylons, the tunnels, and the portals (stations). We are seeking candidates with various levels of experience to join our team of qualified and diverse individuals at our Los Angeles facility.
The Aero-Thermal Engineer will have the opportunity to participate in the aerodynamic and thermal design and analysis of the hyperloop’s key mechanical system and subsystems, as well as the experimental platforms developed for the testing of these systems.
Responsibilities include Analysis, Design, and Testing:
- CFD/FEM Analysis:
- Select the appropriate analytical methods.
- Develop the numerical simulation workflows.
- Leverage existing software and hardware to their fullest capabilities.
- Identify future needs.
- Aero-Thermal Design:
- Lead in designing complex multidisciplinary aerodynamics solutions.
- Propose your own design solutions and innovations to address requirements.
- Support hardware teams with fluid dynamic loads for their existing designs.
- Aero-Thermal Testing:
- Collaborate with Test & Dev in designing test rigs and selecting appropriate sensors and instruments.
- Draft test plans for the experimental validation of the analytical and numerical solutions above.
- Participate in executing experiments.
- Data analysis, post-processing, and results presentation.
MINIMUM REQUIRED EXPERIENCE:
- B.S. in Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering or related fields (M.S. or Ph.D. preferred).
- Deep understanding of fluid dynamics and heat transfer.
- Minimum 2 years of experience in one or more of the following related fields:
- Compressible flow, shock dynamics
- Boundary layer
- Low Reynolds number flow
- Two-phase flow
- Turbulence models
- Rarefied gas dynamics
- Aerospace/Avionics thermal management
- Heat exchangers
- Thermodynamic cycles
- Conjugate heat transfer
- Aero-Thermal analysis using:
- First principle models
- Reduced order models
- 3D numerical simulations
- Significant experience running CFD and thermal simulation software (STAR-CCM+, ANSYS Fluent/CFX, SU2, SINDA/Fluint, COMSOL, Thermal Desktop, etc.). Unsteady Overset/Moving Mesh knowledge a plus.
- Experience in data post-processing methods, software, and algorithms.
- Excellent problem-solving skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
- CAD experience. Siemens NX and Teamcenter preferred.
- Familiarity with multi-disciplinary optimization methods and software packages.
- Hands-on laboratory setup of experiments and wind tunnel testing.
- Battery Thermal Management
- Electronics cooling
Hyperloop One is an Equal Employment Employer; employment is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other protected status. Hyperloop One will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with the “Ban the Box” legislation. We may access publicly available information as part of your application. For full information on how your personal information will be stored and processed, please click here.
To all recruitment agencies: Virgin Hyperloop One does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, Virgin Hyperloop One employees or any other company location. Virgin Hyperloop One is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.