Additive Manufacturing Engineer at Relativity Space
Team and Role Overview
Relativity is creating the first fully 3D printed rocket and the first autonomous rocket factory. Our vision is to build the future of humanity in space – starting with rockets.
We're building an additive team that's ready to discover, develop, create, and operate the most advanced additive manufacturing technologies in the world. In order to do that, we need strong, driven technical leaders, project managers and operators.
As an engineer in our small-scale additive production group you will be responsible for all powder bed operations and post processing. You will own all aspects of our Laser Powder Bed Fusion (SLM / DMLS / DMLM) printing and post processing, producing flight parts from raw powder. You will own the process from file prep, design for additive manufacturing, and powder purchase through post processing to final machining and qualification of flight hardware. You will be the primary point of contact for your hardware.
The Mission/Outcomes and Objectives
- Serve as subject matter expert for additive manufacturing.
- Continuously improve the entire organization's approach to additive.
- Leverage expertise to inform design for additive and drive printing success and consistency to 100%.
- Own all aspects of additive production.
- Ramp production of additive hardware at to meet rate and quality requirements for production.
- Continuously improve speed, quality, transparency, and responsiveness of additive production.
You're an experienced additive manufacturing engineer excited to apply your skills and knowledge. You have experience in a production environment and are excited to set up processes to consistently produce quality parts. You're as comfortable setting up production and quality systems as you are operating a printer, preparing build files, and improving designs. You're ready and excited to balance all these skills to work with minimal supervision and drive hard towards success and continuous improvement.
Minimum Required Skills and Competencies
- Minimum of 2 years of experience working in powder based additive manufacturing or similar fields.
- Minimum of 1 years of experience working in a Lean production environment.
- Strong grasp of at least of the following: CAD program, design for additive manufacturing, and GD&T.
- Experience managing external vendors and supply chains.
- Extensive experience interfacing with design engineering, manufacturing, and production personnel.
- Self-starter that has demonstrated the ability to define and own a process from scratch and roll out that process through adept communication to a diverse team.
Preferred Skills and Competencies
- Degree in Material Science, Materials Engineering, Metallurgy, Mechanical Engineering, or another related field.
- Working knowledge of typical manufacturing execution systems (MES) and quality management systems.
- Experience designing, implementing and operating digital manufacturing execution systems and processes.
- Experience with numerical analysis including fluid and structural (CFD, FEA).
- Strong grasp of materials science and thermal processing of metals.
- New product introduction of an aerospace hardware system into a manufacturing, test, and production system with proven success.
- Working knowledge of laser and optical systems.
- Experience with data collection and management (eg SQL).
- Working knowledge of rocket propulsion systems.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.