Team and Role Overview
Relativity is creating the first autonomous rocket factory. Our vision is to build the future of humanity in space – starting with rockets. We have an ambitious mission, and we understand that it takes a team to achieve it. This is why we are growing and looking for team members to join us that feel just as excited and driven to accomplish something that has not been done before, together.
We are looking for a Structures Design Engineer to join the vehicle structures team and help us achieve our ambitious goal of launching a 3D printed rocket to space.
The Mission/Outcomes and Objectives
To support our mission of changing the way rockets are built and flown, you will be responsible for bringing critical flight structures and supporting components from design concept to physical hardware ready to launch. The scope of work encompasses a full design cycle, including conceptualization, design, analysis, manufacturing and testing for primary and secondary structures related to Thrust Structure, Propellant Tanks, Interstage or Fairing, to name a few.
Here are some examples of projects you could be working on:
- Innovative conceptualization of structural load path, design for complex structures and adjacent system packaging
- Review of static & dynamic load inputs, material properties & test as well as structural systems & subsystems requirements
- Analysis and sizing of flight structures to ensure timely design reviews and drawing release
- Develop and support hardware test campaigns, including test integration, operation and result evaluation
- Support manufacturing process development, including tools or fixtures design or analysis
Your mission will be to deliver these projects on time and budget. In order to achieve this, you will be working closely with our additive, design, test and loads & dynamics teams.
In order to be successful in this role, you should be someone who is self-motivated, thrives in ambiguity and is able to lead his or her own projects into completion. Ideally, you are someone who has come from a fast paced, aerospace environment, having completed difficult projects while collaborating effectively with other key groups.
On a weekly basis, you will be designing flight or ground components using NX/TeamCenter, performing analysis using Nastran, ANSYS and/or hand calculations, creating and releasing drawings as well as supporting fabrication of your components. Your designs will be optimized for our additive manufacturing methods, for which fundamental knowledge is crucial. You will also use your strong organizational skills to properly document your work and move forward your recommendation when decisions are needed.
Minimum Required Skills and Competencies
- 5+ years of experience in a full cycle design engineering role and a Bachelor’s degree in related discipline
- Working knowledge of structural analysis and test (from hand calculations to advanced analysis)
- Fundamental knowledge of structures strength, stability and fatigue failure mechanisms
- Fundamental knowledge of additive and traditional manufacturing processes
Preferred Skills and Competencies
- 7+ years of aerospace experience and an advance engineering degree
- Extensive experience with NX/TeamCenter
- Experience using Nastran and ANSYS
This position must meet Export Control compliance requirements, therefore a United States Person as defined by 22 C.F.R. § 120.15 is required.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.