Store Design Manager
sweetgreen is on a mission to build healthier communities by connecting people to real food. We passionately believe that real food should be convenient and accessible to everyone. Every day in each sweetgreen, our 3,500 team members make food from scratch, using fresh ingredients and produce delivered that morning. And in our local communities, we’re committed to leaving people better than we found them. We’re in the business of feeding people, and we’re out to change what that means.
The Store Design Manager will join the store design team to drive the pipeline of new stores nationwide. This position will assess new locations for prototypical fit, design accurate layouts in collaboration with internal stakeholders, execute design concepts and construction documents in accordance to the current prototypical details. This position will report to the Director of Store Design and Construction and will have high impact on the entire store development cycle.
- Lead the architectural design team across critical milestones for new stores starting with site assessment, layout and concept reviews, construction documents, and permitting.
- Communicate effectively across all internal stakeholders including real estate, construction, procurement, and operations as well as external consultants and vendors to ensure constant updates and visibility with project schedules and status.
- Work collaboratively with the innovation design team to translate new design ideas into prototypes that can be used on all future projects. Constantly updating the master drawings to ensure accuracy and keep up with the business updates and needs.
- Assess new locations to ensure compatibility with the current store prototype working with AORs across the country regarding site assessments and flagging any potential issues prior to lease signing.
- Problem solve with innovative solutions to accurately represent sweetgreen’s brand in all new stores based on current prototypes. Finding value engineering solutions to new stores without compromising the brand’s execution.
- Manage a team of capable, motivated and talented designers through their professional development, while driving the team through aggressive goals of store weeks, budgets and accuracy.
- Engage stakeholders around design changes. While developing expertise on store operational needs. This includes work around store refreshes and renovations based on operational needs, by evolving the most cost effective and least disruptive solutions possible.
- Build the knowledge of sweetgreen’s details with all consultants (e.g. AORs, engineers, …) as well as the real estate, construction, facilities and procurement teams. Also, keep a watchful eye for optimization and value engineering opportunities.
- Minimum 5-7 years of experience in architectural design management, preferably as an owner’s representative.
- Degree in architecture, interior design, or any related field of study.
- Solid experience with construction documents with a great obsession for details.
- Construction administration experience, managing multiple projects at once.
- Previous team management experience.
- Strong oral, written and interpersonal communication skills
- Customer service aptitude and willingness to work as part of a team.
- Must be able to multi-task, to meet various deadlines and handle shifting project priorities.
- Top notch skills in AutoCAD, Revit, SketchUp and Adobe Creative Suite.
- Excellent presentation skills to solicit feedback and approvals.
- 7+ years of experience in retail or hospitality design for a national brand.
- Graduate degree in architecture with path for licensure.
- In depth understanding of kitchen equipment and engineering requirements.
- Experience dealing with vendor legal agreements.
What you'll get:
- Competitive pay + bonus plan granted based on performance
- Health, dental + vision insurance
- Flexible PTO, because we respect the need for work/life harmony
- An opportunity to make a real impact on the people around you, both by growing them and by connecting them to real food
- To live the sweetlife and celebrate your passion + purpose
- A collaborative family of people who live our core values and have your back
- A clear career path with opportunities for development, both personally and professionally
- Our annual Impact Retreat offsite
- Free sweetgreen swag / Complimentary sweetgreen
Come join the sweetlife!
sweetgreen provides equal opportunities for everyone that works for us and everyone that applies to join our team, without regard to sex or gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, pregnancy, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, any service, past, present, or future, in the uniformed services of the United States (military or veteran status), or any other consideration protected by federal, state, or local law.