Sr. Director, UX Strategy & Research
LegalZoom is seeking a Sr. Director UX Strategy and Research to join the Creative and UX department to help lead the strategy and research and inspire/inform our next generation of experiences for our customers. We are looking for someone who has experience leading and managing teams and a proven track record of leveraging research and data to drive strategy and product design. You’ll work closely with several cross-functional teams to advocate for the needs of users, improve the overall experience of our internal tools and influence business decisions by synthesizing research results with market trends and competitive insights relevant to the business context.
As a senior member of the team based in Glendale, CA, you will be responsible for building and overseeing a team of user experience researchers and strategists to provide the insights, framework and principles that will inform and guide the design of our next major strategic initiatives on the UX consumer and enterprise front. You will define and manage the cross-platform UX strategy roadmap and ensure the solutions deliver against key business metrics. This is a great opportunity to impact millions of small business owners and personal consumers of legal services. This role requires the ability to balance between people management, leadership, and research responsibilities. Approximately 50% of this role will be hands-on.
What you will do
- Create, communicate and maintain a UX strategy for the most complex business problems with keen awareness of limitations and how to maximize opportunities for scale across the organization
- Build and lead a team of user experience researchers and strategists on testing and validation of assumptions using qualitative and quantitative methods to create rapid iterations based on research findings
- Alongside the Sr. Creative Director and Sr. Director of Digital Experience, create and communicate short and long term strategy and roadmap for the evolution of the User Experience across platforms that aligns with the product roadmap, supports the broader LegalZoom vision and delivers on the broader organizational goals
- Plan, lead, facilitate, analyze and report on a variety of user research studies, including surveys, in-depth interviews, field studies, focus groups, observational sessions and prototype testing. Validate design direction through participatory design, early concept testing, formative and/or summative usability testing.
- Influence the product team with compelling product ideas based on data insights that can move the dial on our business
- Develop, maintain, and continually improve processes across product portfolios, providing research needed during feature/product ideation to validate solutions and prioritize recommendations based on desirability, viability and feasibility of proposed iterations
- Communicate findings through artifacts such as personas, journeys, task analyses, etc. as needed
- Evaluate and guide ongoing design sprints
- Establish and maintain a close working relationship with other research teams within LegalZoom to ensure alignment around product and customer insight communication
- Engage in architectural design tasks such as user flows and information architecture definition, etc. with the aim of communicating design opportunities to stakeholders
- Manage the research budget
- Create and manage key performance indicators to identify and assess team productivity and success
- Proactively identify research needs and performs in-depth research analysis of customer, prospects, competitors, industry, and business Intelligence reports
- Challenge the team to think critically in solving problems
- Prioritize team projects based on business needs and resource allocation
- 10+ years of experience leading design research and strategy efforts with 3+ years in management
- Must have examples of how they applied research experience to influence decisions at various points in the product development lifecycle
- Experience with research applications pertaining to user experience, marketing, and market insights
- Mastery of all UX methods including design, research, information architecture, and strategy
- Strong understanding of quantitative and qualitative methodologies and analysis
- Deep practical technical understanding plus knowledge of how to coordinate complex builds across several teams
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Strong analytical and personal leadership skills
- Must be organized, able to act independently, and able to switch rapidly between different projects in a fast-paced environment
- Highly-motivated self-starter with a great sense of humor.
We look forward to learning more about you, and certainly appreciate you taking the time to get to know us!
LegalZoom is an Equal Opportunity Employer, dedicated to diversity