Society6 is an online marketplace of unique wall art, home decor and lifestyle goods featuring designs by independent artists. With artwork from over 400,000 creators and the knowledge that every purchase pays an artist, Society6 allows you to empower creativity around the world and in your everyday life.
We are looking for a Senior Backend Engineer to join our Artist Experience team. The artist experience team’s primary responsibility is to empower our artists through the S6 Artist Studio and Artist Shop. We build the tools for our artists to share their works of art with the world. The new and improved artist studio is growing and iterating quickly as we continue to add new features, products, and image manipulation tools. We’re looking for the next generation of tech leaders who understand that simplicity and reliability are aspects of a system to be carefully calculated with every decision made.
A big vision calls for a big job. As we grow, our need for a Senior Back End Engineer grows with us. Remote will be considered for this role.
Our platform is built primarily using PHP, Python, NodeJS, React-Redux, MySQL and CouchBase and is hosted on Amazon Web Services. Expertise in these areas is a huge plus, but familiarity with other common web languages (such as Ruby, Go, or Java), other cloud hosting providers (ie. GCP, Microsoft Azure), and other relational databases are fine substitutes.
Leaf Group is a house of brands, creating and cultivating digital-first companies in growing lifestyle categories: Fitness & Wellness (Well+Good, Livestrong.com); Home & Decor (Hunker, Society6, Deny Designs), and Art & Design (Saatchi Art, The Other Art Fair). Additionally, we have performance focused brands in key categories such as Travel, Pets, and DIY (OnlyInYourState, Cuteness, eHow). Our media and marketplace brands are authentic and authoritative, reaching a large and growing passionate audience.
We work in a fun, collaborative environment that is diverse, adventurous, and open-minded. We look for proactive, accountable people focused on continuous learning and growth to push themselves and our businesses forward. Check us out here.
What your typical day looks like:
- You will work with a team of high level dedicated engineers and product managers in the creation of our ecommerce platform, artist studio, artist shop, artist tools, mobile optimized sites, and iOS app
- You’ll collaborate with team members to conceptualize and build well-crafted scalable solutions that will meet the demands of our high volume of daily traffic and daily transactions
- You’ll constructively provide feedback and insights to your peers through code reviews and other discussions
- You’ll produce high-quality results by leading or contributing heavily to large cross-functional projects that have a significant impact on the business.
- You’ll improve engineering standards, tooling, and processes
What you have:
- You have been building web applications professionally for 4+ years.
- You have worked with image manipulation tools such as ImageMagick, GraphicsMagick, or Sharp
- Experience with 3D Rendering tools such as Blender or V-Ray is a plus but not required
- You have worked with distributed systems and message queues
- You have high competency with building scalable and secure REST APIs
- You have experience with open source frameworks such as Laravel, Symfony, Ruby on Rails, Django, or Express
- Extensive experience with imperative programming languages -- e.g., PHP, Python, Ruby, Go, C, C# Java.
- Worked with Amazon Web Services, Google Cloud Platform, or Microsoft Azure
- Experience with the ELK Stack, MySQL and CouchBase is a huge plus
- Strong understanding of OOP principles and design patterns
- Experience with building large/performant search indexes, and with scalable job queues
- You write testable, maintainable, and understandable code
- You have a passion for knowledge, continued learning, and sharing it with others.
- You are a strong and constructive communicator. You can explain complex topics to peers, the product team, and other non-technical team members. You are open to giving and receiving critical and constructive feedback.
You’ll be successful here if you want to be involved in every step of the development process, if you're seeking an environment where you can have ownership, problem solve with other talented engineers, continue to learn, and advance your career.
What We Have:
- Leaf Group is Built In LA's 2019 Best Companies to Work for in Los Angeles
- Leaf Group is Comparably's 2018 Best Company Los Angeles Award and 2017 Best Company for Diversity Award
- Well+Good is the 2018 winner of Fast Company’s Most Innovative Company Award
- MyPlate is the 2018 winner of the Webby Award for Best Design
- Competitive compensation and benefits packages (i.e., Medical, Dental, Vision, FSA, 401K)
- Cool office environment and culture
- Discounted gym memberships
- Paid-to-play vacation rewards
- Discretionary unlimited vacation time
- Employee discounts for Saatchi Art, Society6, and Deny Designs
Leaf Group, Ltd. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants for all job openings are welcome and will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, or any other basis protected by state, federal, or local law. It is the intent of the Company to comply with all applicable federal, state, and local legislation concerning equal opportunity in employment.
If the Leaf Group Talent Acquisition department, or any current company employee, receives an unsolicited resume from a third party recruiting agency and Leaf Group does not have a signed Agency Agreement active, Leaf Group will not be deemed liable to pay a placement fee. The unsolicited resume will be considered a gift and can be considered for our recruitment efforts.