Senior UI/UX Designer
At Tala, we are driven by building products to provide access for the underbanked or underserved. Our users are savvy and want more than just access, they want beautiful and easy to use products. Our Design team is passionate about building these products for our customers around the world. The ideal candidate will be passionate about doing the same.
In this role, you will co-lead the design team as well as be a full individual contributor for shipping product. You will advocate for design across the organization, and contribute to the creation of a design system and the design organization. As part of the product team, you will actively participate in the ideation and UX/UI execution for projects, features, and products.
This role will be 25% design leadership and 75% individual contributor
- Support the creation of a design vision for the company and the structure of the design team
- Advocate and create processes for user-centered design and consumer quality experiences
- Help build a design system to increase Tala’s design literacy
- Effectively articulate user experience design issues and solutions
- Create and maintain user flows, wireframes, prototypes, mock-ups to translate from product ideas, to user stories, to buildable user experiences
- Collaborate closely with product managers, and project stakeholders to conceptualize, execute, and refine intuitive and functional experiences
- Consume user research effectively, and occasionally travel to multiple countries to perform user research
- Collaborate with team members in Agile environment (Product, Engineering, QA and Design) to create and ship thorough solutions on time
- Juggle multiple projects in varying stages of the design process
- 5-7 years professional experience in mobile UI/UX design
- Experience designing and shipping digital consumer-facing products
- Strong knowledge of Android and Material Design
- Experience leading a design team and/or mentoring junior designers
- Expert with Sketch, Adobe CC, wireframing tools and prototyping tools
- Knowledge of Project Management and Design collaboration tools like JIRA, InVision, & Zeplin
- Bachelor’s degree in UX Design, Interaction Design, Graphic Design, or related field (or equivalent experience)
- Strong understanding of interaction design and design principles
Preferred Skills, Abilities & Experience:
- Ability to partner with user experience researchers to define usability studies, concept and prototype testing
- Experience leading design sprints, team brainstorming and ideation exercises
- Experience with creating digital design systems
- Experience in working on a distributed team
- Iconography and illustration
We strongly believe that inclusion fosters innovation and we’re proud to have a diverse team with a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences. We focus on hiring talented people regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Tala is a mission-driven mobile technology and data science company that’s opening up financial access for underserved people globally. Tala’s smartphone app uses alternative data to deliver instant credit and help customers build their financial identities. Unlike traditional credit scoring, Tala's proprietary underwriting models draw on thousands of mobile data points including network diversity, social connectedness, geographic patterns, and financial transactions to score customers in real time, without a need for formal credit history. Tala is headquartered in Santa Monica with additional offices in Nairobi and Manila.
Tala, formerly known as InVenture, is backed by IVP, Ribbit Capital, Lowercase Capital, Data Collective, Collaborative Fund and other leading venture and impact investors. In 2016, Fast Company ranked Tala as one of its top 10 companies in Money, and Forbes named Tala as one of the top 50 FinTech companies in the world. Additionally, Tala’s work has been highlighted by Forbes, the New York Times, the Financial Times, the Wall Street Journal, TED, and Wired, among others. Tala is headquartered in Los Angeles with additional offices in Nairobi and Manila.