Senior Designer, Brand
Headquartered in Santa Monica, California, Tala is a mobile technology and data science company that is working to expand financial access, choice and control to underserved consumers globally. Tala’s smartphone app instantly evaluates customers for credit using only the data on their devices and delivers customized loans in minutes.
We are reinventing credit by using alternative data to underwrite customers in real time, without reliance on traditional credit reports and helping our users build an entirely new financial identity through digital credit. Our proprietary identity and credit scoring technologies have helped us lend to over 1M+ customers overlooked by traditional finance – with the goal of serving an estimated underserved population of 3 billion globally!
At Tala, we see the world differently. We’re driven by a fundamental belief in people, and we work hard to prove their potential. We take risks that others won’t, in order to put more power in our customers’ hands. Every day, we challenge the limits of a system that has left 3 billion people behind – committing to building a world where underserved people everywhere have financial access, choice, and control. We call this way of doing things Radical Trust. We think trust will be the currency that drives a better financial system – one that sees, understands and serves more of the world’s people.
In this role, you will work on helping to form the Tala visual brand and define how it’s expressed across multiple customer touchpoints, both online and offline. You’ll work on engaging and compelling designs for social, website, brand marketing, and to a lesser extent ad creative and internal projects. A typical day in this role would involve working on many different types of projects including brand patterns and icons, social media posts, website updates, and emails as well as other online and offline marketing projects. You would exhibit a thoughtful approach to producing quality designs and help establish a high visual design standard that is relevant and resonant in a variety of global markets and contexts.
The candidate who would thrive at Tala has a genuine interest in helping people, welcomes a challenge, is respectful, and brings a fresh diverse perspective to the team. You have a steller mix of visual acumen, creative thinking, writing, project management, a genuine curiosity in data and are passionate about making high-quality brand and marketing creative. Above all, you understand the importance of helping build a global brand with creative that resonates in different countries across the world.
What you’ll do
- Work closely with the Senior Design Lead to help evolve the Tala visual brand
- Partner with internal stakeholders to produce visual design creative (including icons, animated gifs and illustrations) for digital marketing campaigns across all channels including social media, website, email, in-app messages, ads and more
- Leverage data & learnings to help inform the creative process
- Generate ideas, inspire your teammates, respectfully give and receive feedback
- Ability to self-manage to meet multiple deadlines, prioritize work, and keep projects moving forward
What you’ll need
- 7+ years of experience working in graphic design
- Skills in two or more disciplines: graphic design, 2D animation or illustration
- A link to an online portfolio showcasing relevant work (include link on your resume)
- Experience working with consumer brands either in-house or at an agency
- Possess deep customer empathy and awareness of the impact of design
- Experience establishing and working within brand guidelines while localizing creative to fit marketing needs
- Strong command of design principles, typography, color theory, and conceptual thinking
- Expert knowledge of the Adobe Creative Cloud suite, particularly Photoshop and Illustrator. Working knowledge of Sketch. Knowledge of AfterEffects or any animation program is a plus.
- Comfortable working with Slack, Asana, and GSuite, or willingness to learn.
- Collaborative and fun! You love working across multiple teams with passionate and fun people who believe in the Tala mission.
Tala, formerly known as InVenture, is backed by Google Ventures, IVP, Revolution, Ribbit Capital, Lowercase Capital, Data Collective, Collaborative Fund and other leading venture and impact investors. In 2016, Fast Company ranked Tala, formerly known as InVenture, as one of its top 10 companies in Money, and Forbes named Tala as one of the top 50 FinTech companies in the world. Additionally, Tala’s work has been highlighted by the New York Times, the Financial Times, the Wall Street Journal, TED, and Wired, among others.
Benefits and Perks
We offer a competitive benefits package including comprehensive health and wellness coverage, 401k and reimbursement for commuting expenses. To promote healthy work-life balance, we offer unlimited paid time off and paid parental leave. At Tala, we provide enriching opportunities for personal and professional development, including travel to our global markets to meet with actual customers.
We truly believe that inclusion fosters innovation and we’re proud to have a diverse team with a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences. We focus on hiring talented people regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.