Principal Product Designer (Remote)
By clicking Apply Now you agree to share your profile information with the hiring company.
Matillion technology turns every business into a data business. Our low-code data integration platform helps modern teams ingest, enrich and synchronise their data across a variety of cloud platforms. Leading companies like Slack, Cisco, and DocuSign trust Matillion to help them transform operational data into useful information at enterprise scale.
We’re backed by top Silicon Valley investors and recently closed a $150M Series E in September 2021 for a total amount of $250M raised in 2021. Our investors include current and former backers of other leading enterprise data companies like Databricks, Informatica and Mulesoft.
As Snowflake’s 2021 data integration partner of the year and a winner of Databricks’ 2021 ISV Innovation Award, our product strategy and engineering execution is continuously recognized as best in class by a rapidly growing ecosystem of technology partners.
With dual headquarters in Manchester, UK and Denver, Colorado, and an expanding hybrid culture, we are looking for passionate, high-integrity individuals to help us scale up our rapidly growing business.
We are now looking for a Principal Product Designer to join Matillion. This role can sit remotely across the UK, or work from our UK HQ Manchester.
The Principal Product Designer is responsible for the success of all UX/UI Design activities, outputs and outcomes across a portfolio of data products. Working alongside the Director of Product Design as part of the design leadership team and in close collaboration with Product Directors and other Principal Designers, you’ll define and expand the holistic UX strategy for a suite of SaaS products — aligning every customer touchpoint with an evolving vision of the future Matillion experience.
Collaborating with a broad range of stakeholders including senior leaders and customers, you will own strategic design decisions that lead to the optimum evolution of the Matillion experience and value proposition — ensuring that the customer is at the heart of everything we do.
This role is paramount to the evolution of Matillion’s UX maturity, shaping and evangelising the design language and philosophy — for the UX team and wider business, supporting the growth of design/non-design roles, as well as contributing to the quality and efficiency of UX Research, UX Design and UI activities.
What you will be doing
Collaborate with other Principal Designers to define, plan and construct the holistic Matillion user experience
- Define and communicate UX vision and strategy across the Matillion product suite in collaboration with Product Directors, Product Managers, Product Marketing Managers and Designers of all levels
- Lead and support cross-collaborative discovery/consensus workshops to increase adoption and breadth of the UX vision
- Align cross-team (squad) design activities, influencing product roadmaps to deliver results and learnings in alignment with commercial goals
- Devise, instigate and lead research initiatives and UX market analysis that uncover/validate strategic design opportunities
Own design direction and outputs for your dedicated product range
- Create and evolve UX vision and strategy for your dedicated product range
- Own communication of progress updates and design decisions to the wider business and executive team
- Own team outputs by providing high level direction, work requirements and critique for other designers conceptualising, designing and creating first-class experiences and interfaces, alongside your own hands-on contributions to UX and UI.
- Lead and support remote/in-situ/hybrid design activities (design sprints/workshops/story mapping…)
Cultivate design culture and excellence throughout the organisation
- Define and maintain principles and standards that bring UX consistency to all platforms and products
- Contribute to and expand an evolving design system for pixel-perfect delivery and hand-off to engineers
- Drive and support cross-team activities to progressively evolve the experience practice at Matillion
- Strategically position narratives within the wider business to ensure best-practice design happens invariably
- Evangelise a lean-design approach to innovation work-streams
- Nurture the growth of Senior, Mid Level and Junior UX Designers through mentoring, coaching and critique
- Contribute to UX resource requirements that allow Matillion to scale efficiently and advise on suitability of UX team candidates, supporting recruitment interviews
What we are looking for
- Collaboration mastery — able to inclusively generate consensus on direction, approach and concepts from all levels of stakeholder
- Excellent communication skills — able to form powerful narratives that align strategic business decision making
- Advanced presentation skills — able to present ideas/concepts to stakeholders with confidence to generate actionable outcomes
- Hyper-aware and proactive — able to autonomously discover and action opportunities to drive design excellence through ambiguous or complex circumstances
- Design Intuition — visually literate with a keen design aesthetic and fluency in the language of design and UX
- Proactive — self-organised and ability to plan your work and the work of the team in line with commercial goals.
- Significant (UX-UI) design experience (or you’re really good)
- Experience in Principal / Lead roles
- Experience designing software products — ideally SaaS
- Experience mentoring other designers / non-designers
- Proven skills in user research techniques, mental models, persona creation, JTBD framework
- Proven experience working with stakeholder on implementing design processes
- Proven skills in ideation, sketching, wireframing, user flows, information architecture and visual/UI design
- Fluency with modern visual design and prototyping tools such as Figma, Sketch, InVision etc.
- Experience contributing to / maintaining design systems
- Degree / similar in a design or computer related subject
- Experience working in cloud data transformation
You must be able to demonstrate
- High calibre UX and UI Design
- Agile and Lean Practices
- UX Strategy
- Iterative product design planning and development
- Design Thinking
- Information Architecture
- Interaction Design and Design Systems
- Competitive Analysis / Design Industry Trends
- Passion for solving complex problems
- Accountable — Able to take responsibility for your team’s outputs, learnings/failures (we celebrate these)
- Humble — Product design is a collaborative sport #no-heroes
- Professional — Responsible for your time, prioritisation, delegation and denials (saying no to the right things)
- Opinionated — You have strong views but are open to challenge and adaptivity
- Always improving — You continuously seek ways to grow yourself and others around you, responding well to feedback
- Results oriented — You know how to prove value and prioritise opportunities that demonstrate wins
At Matillion, we are committed to providing competitive salaries in line with market standards. Our estimated compensation range for this position is €72,000 - €99,000, but the final salary will be based on your relevant skills, experience and qualifications demonstrated in the hiring process.
Find out more about Matillion and our core company values.
- A truly flexible & remote working culture
- A culture that promotes work life balance
- Company Equity
- Access to mental health support
- 30 days holiday + bank holidays
- 5 days paid volunteering leave
- Health insurance
- Life Insurance
- Career development with monthly hackdays and access to a Udemy account
& much more!
We are keen to hear from prospective employees, so please apply and a member of our Talent Acquisition team will be in touch.
Alternatively, if you are interested in Matillion but don't see a suitable role, please email [email protected]
Matillion is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and we are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all of our team. Matillion prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type, Matillion does not discriminate on the basis of race, colour, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by law.