Head of Industrial Design
What You'll Do
- Lead the industrial design process at Bird, applying design to create and develop specifications for Bird’s manufactured products.
- Develop an extremely collaborative design process, bringing a deep understanding of designing consumer products for mobility or transportation.
- Recruit, build, and lead an in-house team of industrial designers. Utilize, employ, and learn a variety of industrial design methodologies in your process (freehand drawing, surfacing in 3D CAD, 3D photorealistic rendering, prototyping, etc.).
- Help research, as needed, the competitive environment and best practice ID solutions.
- Refine designs and create CAD models, prototypes, and CMF specifications with focus on form and function.
- Learn to work with multiple and diverse stakeholders both internally and externally (such as riders, creative contributors, executives, etc.) to ensure a seamless process and mutually beneficial relationship.
- Make a difference in people’s lives around the world.
What You'll Have
- Bachelor’s degree, or equivalent
- 10+ years of industrial design experience.
- 5+ years of management experience.
What You'll Need
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or Advanced degree in Industrial Design is preferred.
- Experience leading an in-house, industrial design team.
- Experience managing industrial design for manufacturing, preferably for mobility or transportation products.
- Proficient in the craft of industrial design (e.g. freehand drawing, surfacing in 3D CAD, 3D photorealistic rendering, 2D technical drawings, prototyping, making hand-made study models).Ability to develop design for manufacturing (DFM) reports, incorporating vendor and contract manufacturer feedback.
- Expertise with Adobe Creative Suite. Proficient with SolidWorks, Rhino, or Keyshot. Autodesk Alias or SketchUp experience is preferred.
- Creative thinker comfortable leading design reviews.
- Ability to work with Manufacturing to iterate design intent, from first article inspections through final assemblies.
- Hands-on leader with strong collaboration skills, preferably with previous experience working with business partners across the company.
- Exceptional communication skills.
- Agency experience is a plus.
Bird Rides Inc. is an equal employment opportunity employer, and we welcome everyone regardless of their race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status or genetics. We are dedicated to providing an inclusive, open, and diverse work environment.