Head of Design
Greater LA Area
At ChowNow, our design team spans the disciplines of product design, marketing design, and brand design. We consider each touchpoint with our customers -- whether it’s a mobile app, a window sign, or an email -- to be part of the same customer journey. As such, our design organization owns that complete customer experience. We’re passionate about building ONE design organization to provide ONE comprehensive customer experience. And we need your help to do this!
About the Team:
At ChowNow, our mission is to help local restaurants grow their business by strengthening relationships with their customers.
We are passionate about serving the needs of over 10,000 restaurants to help them compete in an increasingly technical world. Our team works on products focused on restaurant clients and their diners, who transact over $1.5M daily on the ChowNow platform.
We believe positive relationships make our team able to do more with less. You will collaborate, learn, teach, and experiment with new approaches to getting big things done together.
Our team is located in the Playa Vista neighborhood and tech hub of Los Angeles — just a few minutes from both the beach and the freeways. We believe in equal opportunity for all, and you should, too. We’ve been named a Best Place to Work, have been certified as a Great Place to Work, and have a whole bunch of happy employees on Glassdoor.
About the Position
As our Head of Design & Creative Director you will work from our Los Angeles Headquarters and will define an honorable and admired creative practice here at ChowNow.
This role reports to our Chief Product Officer and directly manages our Product, Communications, and Restaurant Marketing Design teams.
Specifically you will:
- Build a rigorous, strong design culture and design process.
- Create a product, visual, interaction, and story centered design team and vision for ChowNow.
- Infuse the ChowNow spirit, brand, and visual design language into design, product, and marketing teams.
- Create, constantly experiment, and iterate on our visual voice and the way we champion our restaurant partners’ branding.
- Develop our team of designers, helping them to build their design, presentation, and feedback skills. Provide creative direction and feedback based on process, craft, communication, and stakeholder management.
- Define bold, long-term visions for our products and services, and motivate both teams and individual designers to achieve them.
- Create an environment where creativity flourishes.
- Help to elevate the voice of design in the company.
This role has broad reach and impact:
- The design organization serves our entire company, from our well established B2B business to our emerging consumer products.
- We’re not only designing for ChowNow, but providing design assets and marketing services for our restaurant clients. Our design team works daily to represent the branding of our restaurant partners.
Within 30 days, You'll..
- Complete the ChowNow New Hire Ramp Camp (our onboarding experience). You’ll be able to tell the story of ChowNow and its mission based on what you learned in Ramp Camp and with various departments.
- Immerse yourself with every department at ChowNow (attend three weekly Departmental meetings -- CS, RS, Sales) and identify areas where the Design team can support these organizations.
- Spend time individually with every person in the design organization and begin leading weekly one-on-one sessions with your team.
- Lead regular design critique sessions that help your team grow in their feedback and design skills.
- Open Design roles required to support the next 6 months of product, marketing, and brand development.
- Work with our Recruiting team to refine the design team interview structure, interview candidates, and co-own lead generation activities (e.g. design talks, recruiting fairs).
Within 90 days, You'll..
- Organize the Design team into a high functioning, collaborative team of specialists (product, communications, and restaurant marketing).
- Demonstrate how our visual voice will impact all of our customer touchpoints.
- Develop a clear design strategy and roadmap to support our 12-18 month product and marketing vision.
- Establish and monitor your team’s performance and development goals, assign accountabilities, and set objectives using ChowNow’s OKR framework.
- Work with Product, Marketing, and Growth leadership to document and implement the design process for new products, features, and marketing collateral.
- Fill three critical Design roles.
Within 6 months, You'll..
- Work closely with key executive team members and stakeholders to collect and validate early ideas and underdeveloped concepts, turning them into actionable projects and designs for the team to execute.
- Create the team infrastructure to manage multiple product launches, marketing efforts, and growth strategies simultaneously.
- Develop clear and compelling career paths for our existing and future designers. Have regular conversations with your team about their development and opportunities for additional growth.
- Launch comprehensive brand expansion, including new designs for our B2B- and consumer- facing web and mobile applications.
- Write two articles about Design, Leadership, or Branding.
- Lead quarterly Industry Trend presentations.
- Fill remaining roles identified to fill within first 30 days.
Within 12 months, You'll..
- Establish a strong reputation for ChowNow in the LA UX and design communities.
You Should Apply If:
- You take great pleasure in leading designers of all backgrounds to work together to execute on a shared product vision. You enjoy investing time and energy into guiding your team toward new goals that will help them grow in their careers and bring new skills to the organization.
- You’re a student of great design. You’ve been experimenting for over a decade with new ways of creating engaging customer experiences while leveraging the best elements of traditional best practices.
- You are both a strategic and visual designer.
- Your bar for quality is extremely high and you hold those around you to that standard.
- You enjoy the disciplines of brand, product, and communications design and you’re cognizant of how they support one another.
- You have built teams, enjoy managing others, and know what talent you need to scale an in-house design organization supporting product, marketing, sales, and engineering.
- You have experience developing a strong consumer brand and building that out across mobile, web, marketing, and physical products.
- You are an expert in the technical aspects of design and the different mediums that involve designers including digital products (web, apps, CMS), print collateral, email marketing, editorial content production (layout, video, audio), and marketing campaigns (out of home, social, digital ads).
- While you are a passionate creative at heart, you have an analytical and logical approach to design, ensuring that time and resources are being used thoughtfully.
Read Full Job Description