Game Designer, Systems - League of Legends: Summoner's Rift
In 2009, Riot released its debut title League of Legends and has since gone on to become the most played PC game in the world and a key driver of the explosive growth of esports. Delivering unparalleled in-game experiences for a global audience while also building new games gives Game Designers exciting and complex problems to solve. Game Designers at Riot work to create the systems, mechanics, and content that make up a deeply resonant player experience. We explore how to best push the boundaries of that experience in order to create new and engaging moments for players.
As a Game Designer, you will design, tweak, and optimize the player experience. Your analytical skills, player insight, and creativity aid in crafting in- and out-of-game experiences that engage and surprise players. You will collaborate with interdisciplinary teams and work with every tool at hand to innovate and iterate player-focused designs that'll delight millions around the world.
As a Systems Designer on the League of Legends Summoners Rift team, you will be actively assisting in design decisions for our core competitive game mode - Summoners Rift. Having an analytical understanding of the current state of LoL will be helpful, coupled with good problem-solving skills, to help us brainstorm, design, and ship, new products/features for League players.
- Maintaining a current understanding of League of Legends player desires and needs.
- Establishing a robust understanding of all Summoner’s Rift gameplay elements and sharing it with other teams and disciplines.
- Developing novel, exciting League of Legends runes and items that enhance the Summoner’s Rift experience.
- Applying targeted changes to directly address League of Legends balance issues.
- Reading and interpreting data to regulate trends in Summoner’s Rift pacing and duration.
- Working with champion designers to release content that prescribes to modern League of Legends balance philosophies while maintaining product vision.
- Creating novel solutions that can be applied to new or existing complex systems.
- Managing short and long term design projects in parallel.
- Being flexible with regularly shifting priorities based on select player needs.
- Clearly articulating broader design intent internally and externally.
- Helping to build and improve existing design frameworks.
- Effectively and efficiently prototyping/implementing novel designs.
- Socializing team vision for how game balance complements the direction of the product.
- Developing leadership skills and contributing as a design leader on a product team.
- Mentoring other designers in craft growth.
- Has a very good understanding of the player and segment they are creating products for. And can often accurately predict player tastes.
- Is self-driven, instills a sense of urgency, and is focused on team results.
- Can provide clear design context for non-designers that communicate with players.
- Has a high level of autonomy, executing across all phases of a project with minimal oversight.
- Understands diverse problems and opportunities through data analysis and sensemaking. Generates pragmatic solutions.
- Can manage nuanced and challenging feedback; both through giving and receiving.
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history (LAMC 189.00).