Construction Project Designer at Relativity Space
Relativity is the first and only company to automate aerospace manufacturing by integrating intelligent robotics, software, and proprietary metal 3D printing technology. Disrupting 60 years of aerospace, Relativity offers a radically simplified supply chain, building a rocket with 100x fewer parts in less than 60 days. Our long-term goal is to upgrade humanity’s industrial base on Earth and on Mars.
We are looking for a Construction Project Designer to join our growing team at our headquarters in Long Beach, California. You will be responsible for AE design development and new construction to support Relativity’s factory and surrounding facilities. You bring curiosity for our unique technology and our production processes, and are eager to development a next generation launch site.
This position is part of our Launch, Infrastructure, and Facilities organization, which oversee launch operations, new construction projects, and facility operations and maintenance. Our facilities are a key part to Relativity’s success in creating the first autonomous rocket factory, and delivering industry-leading launch services to our customers.
What you’ll do:
As a Construction Project Designer, you will work alongside Relativity’s construction team and will connect various internal technical, business, and people teams to define and execute new facility designs and construction and will be Relativity’s representative to outside facing consultants, contractors, and government agencies.
You will be responsible for developing and managing design, pre-construction, construction administration, furnishing, and fixturing interior and exterior employee work and gathering spaces across Relativity’s real estate portfolio.
You will be at the forefront of creating a world class office space and next-generation launch vehicle factory. You enjoy working with teams and are able to work autonomously to ensure project completion. You have a strong background as an interior designer, project designer, or architect and have solid construction experience. You have a passion for taking ideas and designs and making them become a reality in the built environment. You are a learner and doer at heart, who continuously engages across technical and operations teams to achieve amazing outcomes. You are willing to travel up 25% to support ongoing design and construction across Relativity’s sites.
What you need to know:
- Bachelor’s degree in architectural design, interior design, or related discipline
- Minimum 5 years of experience working in design with a mix of hands-on construction experience
- Experience designing, building, & furnishing Class A office interiors with a focus on employee experience, way finding, pedestrian egress, signage, lighting, furniture, fixtures, and finishes.
- Ability to produce interior layouts, renderings, and drawings and ability to manage contract designers and architects.
- Excellent working ability with industry standard CAD, 3D modeling, and rendering software (specifically Revit and AutoCAD)
- Experience driving quality assurance through construction with a keen eye for detail and ensuring high quality construction with respect to millwork, finishes, and FFE.
- Experience with design documentation, construction drawings, construction bid solicitation, contractor selection, construction management, field supervision, RFI’s, and submittals.
- Understanding of standard construction procedures, best practices, means & methods.
- Understanding of California Building Code, International Building Code, & OSHA
- Demonstrated customer service excellence and ability to communicate highly effectively in verbal/written form with internal and external customers
- Must have strong interpersonal skills and ability to work in a team environment
- High organizational skills in managing multiple projects simultaneously
- Ability to design and understand precision technical plans, blueprints, drawings and modeling applications
- Ability to perform and manage technically complex projects using independent judgment and personal initiative
- Recognize and act on opportunities; maintain flexibility to adjust as requirements shift or constraints change
Nice to haves but not required – if you do not meet all of these criteria, you should still apply:
- 10+ years of experience working in design and construction with a mix of hands-on field experience
- Advanced degree or training in design or construction
- State licensed architect
- Experience with coordinating architectural, structural, civil, and MEPF design & construction disciples
- Experience with designing, building, & outfitting production factories
- Experience with facilities and systems within the aerospace industry
We believe varied perspectives & backgrounds strengthen our team. Prior experience in aerospace is not required.
Relativity Space offers competitive salary and equity, a generous vacation policy, an annual Learning & Development stipend and more!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.