Vice President Engineering, Data
As Vice President Engineering, Data, you will have the very unique and exciting opportunity to lead and drive the vision, architecture, development, as well as the continual improvement of the underlying data platform that informs and drives the Weedmaps portfolio of business products. You will lead and grow the data engineering organization that is responsible for orchestrating and defining the organization-wide data strategy in line with the support of Weedmaps’ product and analytics strategies for our internal and external stakeholders. The explosive growth of the cannabis industry, as well as the differentiated legal requirements in each legal jurisdiction, require that our platform solve for increasingly complex problems and enable client customers to comply with a complex array of compliance, reporting, and operating requirements. You will provide thought leadership and direction to unlock the true potential of what we believe is one of our most valuable assets. You will be responsible for shaping how we acquire, collect and leverage data such as the vast amount of consumer, cannabis brand/product, transactional and operational data across all sides of the marketplace and supply chain that provides the underlying foundation and intelligence to power the Weedmaps product portfolio.
Our products range across the industry verticals from our flagship consumer platform to point-of-sale (POS) to wholesale marketplace to delivery fleet management. Additionally, as we expand our platform which will provide end-to-end SaaS solutions for the cannabis supply chain, it will be increasingly necessary to unify the framework and architecture on which the platform operates with a holistic data approach to ensure that each product integrates seamlessly with one another. You'll be responsible for ensuring that we are building a scalable, reliable, compliant, secure, and highly performant data platform using best practices for delivering our products to market. You will ensure our data architecture is flexible to allow for our growth into new while supporting our existing business lines. You'll be responsible for consistently integrating and aligning data analytics roadmaps into an organization-wide data roadmap to deliver on the overall data strategy across our suite of products.
This is a strategic role that requires a strong partnership with other functions across the company. You'll partner with other senior leaders across the company to translate technology capabilities into strategic business decisions. You'll drive accountability and metrics ownership to translate strategy into results. And you'll align and inspire your organization by effectively communicating the strategy and driving the team to build a world-class marketplace in the cannabis space.
The impact you'll make:
- Build the world’s most comprehensive cannabis data platform to power the Weedmaps ecosystem as well as power the cannabis industry through the Weedmaps partner and integration channels.
- Build a world-class data organization consisting of Data Engineering, Data Architecture, Data Management, Data Warehousing and Analytics, Database Operations, and Data Sciences
- Support, grow, and inspire the data engineers, while building strong ownership and accountability within the team and management layer as the business and product complexity grows at a rapid pace.
- Lead a team of data engineers that design and develop scalable Big Data Warehouse solutions across the entire data supply chain
- Provide oversight, direction, and technical partnership for the overarching Weedmaps’ data stack including technologies such as Python, Redshift, PostgeSQL, and MongoDB as well as foster new emerging technologies in the data engineering space.
- Recruit, hire, grow and retain top performing talent that is passionate about owning the technology platform for the cannabis industry.
- Drive and support a culture of continuous learning and collaboration to improve execution and remove roadblocks.
- Build long term technical and team strategies which align with Weedmaps’ strategic plan while influencing the overall company direction.
- Partner closely and collaborate with management, business partners, analysts, developers, architects, and engineers to support data quality efforts.
- Act as an ambassador for the organization at technology conferences and events.
- Communicate problems and solutions, team obstacles, and overall productivity of teams with executive leadership.
- Set up team performance goals and deliver performance reviews for your team members.
- Influence quality and productivity improvements through involvement in the development of new and improved procedures, process innovations, training, and changes in corporate culture.
What you've accomplished:
- 10+ years of data engineering experience in high-growth engineering organizations, with 3+ years of managing and developing data engineering teams.
- Experience creating and reviewing technical and user-focused documentation for data solutions (data models, data dictionaries, business glossaries, process and data flows, architecture diagrams, etc.)
- Experience working closely with the Data Science teams to improve actionable data.
- Experience architecting and developing a business marketplace at scale.
- Big data architecture scaling or microservices experience.
- Proven experience building, growing, inspiring, and retaining a collaborative and client-focused team of managers and engineers.
- Experience managing large scale organizations of 50+ engineers; training and motivating managers to uplevel their teams.
- Experience working in an e-commerce space as an engineer and leader building applications and technology to engage consumers and foster growth.
- Experience with PCI compliant systems and merchant processing systems.
- Experience working with and managing onsite and remote teams.
- Strong ability to support and mentor team members to accomplish team goals.
- Effective and persuasive communication skills at all levels of management, both written and verbal.
- Experience working collaboratively at a high level with other teams within an organization.
- Ability to take a leadership role in an Agile (Scrum) environment.
- Familiarity with frontend and backend technologies and concerns.
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or equivalent degree/work experience.
- 100% employee covered Medical, Dental, and Vision benefits AND 80% dependent covered Medical, Dental, and Vision benefits
- HMO (California residents only) and PPO option offered through United Healthcare
- 401(k) Retirement Plan: 100% match on the first 1%. 50% match from 2-6% of employee contributions
- 3 weeks PTO (accrued) and 5 sick days (immediate)
- Supplemental, voluntary benefits: accident insurance, short and long term disability, flexible spending accounts, life Insurance, critical illness insurance
- Basic Life/AD&D (Accidental Death and Dismemberment)
- 11 company holidays
- Catered lunch and snacks provided while working in the office
- Monthly snack boxes sent straight to your doorstep as we work remotely
- Casual work environment, read no fancy clothes required, but you are free to dress to the nines!
- Corporate events
- All the equipment that you need to get your work done
Weedmaps is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law, and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability. We are looking for the smartest and most passionate people who want to join our team and develop the services, systems, and marketplaces that will serve the marijuana industry in the decades to come. Our company uses E-Verify to confirm the employment eligibility of all newly hired employees. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, please visit www.dhs.gov/E-Verify.
Established in 2008, Weedmaps is the leading technology and SaaS company focusing on solutions for the cannabis sector. Our mission is to drive the advancement of cannabis legalization and provide the software, services and data platforms that underpin the B2B and B2C segments. Our current software offerings include point-of-sale, wholesale and consumer marketplaces, branded product verification, orders management, fleet logistics, and compliance reporting. Weedmaps strives to provide consumers a single source of accurate and reliable information on products, retailers, care providers, strains and trends. Headquartered in Irvine, CA, with additional locations across the United States, Canada and the EU, Weedmaps has over 400 employees and is expanding rapidly.
So what are you waiting for? Join the Weedmaps family!