Statistician / Reliability Engineer at The Aerospace Corporation
In an era of dynamic change in space, Aerospace is addressing a generation of complex challenges. We operate the only federally funded research and development center (FFRDC) committed exclusively to the space enterprise. Our technical experts span every discipline of space-related science and engineering. Join our team and thrive in a career that matters to the world and you personally.
Acts as senior technical authority, consultant, primary investigator, or team leader. May lead or organize interfaces between customers' and Aerospace technical and management staff. Coordinates large-scale technical efforts across program/project lines. Mentors less experienced staff and serves as role model.
- Independently conducts long-range technical studies and reports findings. Initiates studies designed to solve new technical problems and provide new technical solutions within area of expertise.
- Provides ongoing technical consultation and advice to management, customers, and contractors in the areas of statistics and space system reliability.
- Takes initiative to inform management of perceived technical problems and recommends courses of action.
- May lead cross-organizational teams and organizes interfaces with customer and/or Aerospace program offices.
- May bring in tasks and projects beyond personal activities from internal and external sources.
- Acts as organization's designated representative at technical meetings, presentations, and symposia.
- Apply statistical techniques to derive insight and assess risk from a wide variety of data related to space systems
- Perform analysis on system availability and replenishment planning for satellite systems
- Develop, evaluate, and update reliability models associated with satellite systems and launch vehicle systems
- Provide technical advice to management, customers, and associate contractors
- Document technical efforts and brief internal and external customers
This position is available as Level 2 (Engineering Specialist) or Level 3 (Sr. Enginering Specialist)
Required for Engineering Specialist
- Masters degree in statistics or related field
- Typilcally 8 years increasingly responsible professional engineering/scientific experience
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with customers, Aerospace program offices and contractors, and engineering staff across a broad range of disciplines
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrated personal initiative and ability to work independently, manage multiple simultaneous tasks, and be flexible to changes in tasking
- This position requires the ability to obtain and maintain a security clearance, which is issued by the US government. U.S citizenship is required to obtain a security clearance.
- Exhibits exceptionally high level of innovation, creativeness, and initiative
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with customers
- Widely recognized internally and externally by peers, management, program office, Air Force, and contractors
Additional Requirement for Sr. Engineering Speacialist
- At least 12 years increasingly responsible professional engineering/scientific experience
- Ph.D. in statistics or related field from a recognized institution
- Experience in the space industry and reliability engineering domain
- Fluency in at least one programming and scripting language (e.g. R, Python, C++, Java, Matlab)
- Current and active TS/SCI security clearance, which is issued by the US government. U.S citizenship is required to obtain a security clearance.