Staff Software Engineer, Backend
Tinder is on a mission to change the world, bringing people together and facilitating millions of connections that otherwise might not have been possible. With tens of millions of users and an expansive global presence, our reach is expansive - and rapidly growing.
About The Role
As a Staff Software Engineer on the Engagement team, you will have the opportunity to design and develop new features that will impact engagement, retention, and revenue. You will also be a lead contributor to our technical and product roadmap while helping mentor junior members on our team.
What You’ll Do
- Design, develop and operate resilient distributed services that run on ECS or Kubernetes to serve hundreds of millions of users around the world
- Conceive, implement, monitor, and improve creative new ML-based systems for detecting and removing bad actors
- Collaborate across various teams, including Product, DevOps, Platform, Clients, and Community.
- Ensure that technical designs support our goals of quality, performance, scalability, reliability, availability, maintainability, and security
- Influence the roadmap and product development of anti-spam and anti-abuse systems
- Drive new technical initiatives that will ultimately improve the day-to-day efficiency of all users of the internal Tools platform
- Guide, inspire and develop team members
What You’ll Need
- Hands-on experience building distributed backend systems handling high volumes of traffic
- Excellent knowledge of Computer Science fundamentals, with competencies in data structures, algorithms, software design, and coding
- Experience in handling ambiguous business requirements with excellent prioritization, time management abilities, and a focus on execution
- Passion to solve complex problems and make continuous improvements
- Experience working in a collaborative team environment
- Hands-on experience with database technologies at scale (either SQL or NoSQL)
- AWS experience preferred
- Eagerness to keep learning and growing, and a passion for providing mentorship
- Passionate about making high user impact and moving key metrics
About The Team
As Tinder continues to grow it’s important to keep our users excited and informed about new and fun ways of meeting people.
Our team is responsible for engaging and retaining existing users by utilizing our in-house multi-channel messaging platform: push notifications, in-app messaging, and emails.
We move incredibly quickly with a focus on the growth and retention of our existing user base.
- Continue to develop our multi-channel engagement platform by adding new channels and optimizing existing ones
- Speed up real-time analysis of hundreds of concurrent experiments
- Handle hundreds of thousands of events per second through our data processing pipeline
- Improve personalization by using ML models, focused on user behavior, such as optimal time of delivery and LTV
- Continue expanding and scaling our search index
As Part Of Our Team, You'll Enjoy:
- The hustle of a startup with the impact of a global business
- Tremendous opportunity to solve some of the industry’s most exciting problems
- Working with an extraordinary team of smart, creative, fun and highly motivated people
- Comprehensive health coverage, a competitive salary, 401(k) match, and meaningful equity
- Unlimited vacation and flexible working hours
- Daily catered lunches, an endless supply of refreshments, fitness classes, and social events
- A modern, uplifting work environment in an ideal location