Senior Data Engineer
Who We Are
At sweetgreen, a senior data engineer represents the beginning of an insight in the company. Our data engineers take on the challenge of data collection and transformation from dozens of data sources, both internal and external to the company, and provide paths to access data for the purpose of insights and analysis. While there is a lot that goes into a well polished insight at sweetgreen, the data engineer is a first responder, a gatekeeper and an enabler for data driven business decisions. As such, data engineering plays a critical role for the company’s success as it continues to move forward under the guidance of its data.
Top Goal - within 6 months, establish and implement ETL ingestion standards that improve on performance, extensibility, sustainability and operational excellence. These standards will be applied to existing applications as well as future development. Some tangible results of improved standards include increasing speed to delivery of new ETL applications, decreased downtime, increased coverage on system health and earlier lead times that alert failure in an external dependency.
- Collaboratively Design and Evaluate Alternatives: Within 30 days, conduct a high-level end-to-end system review. Work with the lead engineer and engineering manager to understand the data lake and ETL infrastructure. Develop against technical design documents (TDDs) that describe our current implementations and work with the team to identify areas of opportunity with a specific focus on scalability, resiliency and sustainability.
- Present Your Solution: By 45 days in seat, you will be contributing to and influencing TDDs in support of our Lead Engineers and Software Engineering Managers - providing feedback for feasibility, scalability, and implications for how our solutions would support data platform needs and integration initiatives that live downstream of the data lake.
- Lead the Technical Implementation: By day 90, you will spend 75%+ of your time conducting the technical development of the solutions with our team of engineers and contribute to the suite of ETL applications and data lake architecture. The primary focus of the technical development effort will be to improve our ETL design patterns and enable new ways to ingest data. Your work will include presenting your own pull requests and reviewing others. In partnership with Product and Technical Program Management you’ll hold yourself accountable to the dates that you committed to, completing feature work in your first sprint.
- Documentation: To ease future teammate onboarding, debugging, and knowledge sharing of complex services while mitigating the risk of tribal knowledge, within 30 days in seat, you’ll contribute to our established information architecture within Confluence and put a plan in place to realize 100% documentation of the systems you own.
- Monitoring System Health: By day 90, you will be contributing to the implementation of metrics tracking and alerting for mission critical ETL and relevant applications that power data warehouse, application backends and outbound integrations with sweetgreen partners. You’ll also be joining the rotation of data engineers that ensure system uptime and maintain SLA’s with business stakeholders.
- Raise The Bar: At sweetgreen, we dedicate a portion of our attention to matters that may not be immediately customer facing, and instead allow for us to work smarter, faster, and also enable our stakeholders to do the same. You’ll be asked frequently about your thoughts on what can be improved upon, and the team will collaborate to find ways to apply those ideas into code, the process, or wherever it may apply.
- Solid fundamentals in the areas of AWS, Data Lake Architecture, ELT/ELT, Airflow, SDLC, and python
- Deep understanding of data pipelines and data transformation
- Security first mindset when building software
- Knowledge and experience with AGILE methodologies.
- Experience consuming RESTful APIs.
- Experience deploying website A/B testing or personalization
- Understanding of best practices relating to frontend architecture
- Strong problem solving, communication, and creative skills.
- Strong time management.
- Three different medical plans to suit your and your family's needs
- Dental and Vision insurance
- Flexible PTO plan
- 401k; company match of 50% up to 3% of employee contribution
- 5 months paid family leave; we believe in fully supporting new parents
- Employee HSA and FSA
- Complimentary greens
- An opportunity to make a real impact on the people around you, both by growing them and by connecting them to real food
- To live the sweetlife and celebrate your passion + purpose
- A collaborative family of people who live our core values and have your back
- A clear career path with opportunities for development, both personally and professionally
- Free sweetgreen swag
At sweetgreen we are focused on building a great experience for our customers and we look to constantly enhance that through empowerment of our teams to build innovative solutions. We believe that it’s a mix of individual skill and collaboration that leads to successful outcomes. There is no standard definition of what an Engineer is or does, and depending on where you’re coming from things might look a little different.
Come join the sweetlife!
sweetgreen is on a mission to build healthier communities by connecting people to real food. We passionately believe that real food should be convenient and accessible to everyone. Every day in each sweetgreen restaurant, our 4,000+ team members make food from scratch, using fresh ingredients and produce delivered that morning. And in our local communities, we’re committed to leaving people better than we found them. We’re in the business of feeding people, and we’re out to change what that means. Our people are our most valuable ingredient - the heart of our company, the face of our brand, and what truly makes the sweetgreen experience special and unique.
sweetgreen provides equal opportunities for everyone that works for us and everyone that applies to join our team, without regard to sex or gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, pregnancy, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, any service, past, present, or future, in the uniformed services of the United States (military or veteran status), or any other consideration protected by federal, state, or local law.
sweetgreen participates in the federal government's E-Verify program to determine employment eligibility. To learn more about the E-Verify program, please click here.