Relativity is creating the first autonomous rocket factory. Our vision is to build the future of humanity in space, starting with rockets. Our competitive edge comes from the cost and lead time advantages afforded by radically simple designs using additive manufacturing and automation.
This position will lead structural analyses for engine development and provide guidance to responsible engineers and designers within the propulsion team. You will perform detailed thermal and structural analysis of propulsion system components using finite element analysis (FEA) and hand calculations. You will work closely with propulsion and vehicle teams to design engine hardware for structural integrity, life, performance, weight, and cost requirements. In order to be successful in this role, you should be someone who thrives in ambiguity and is able to lead their own projects into completion. Additionally, as a senior member of the team you will also have a critical role in interviewing candidates and mentoring.
The primary analyses performed in this role could include the following:
- Stress - linear and non-linear, including plasticity and contact.
- Thermal - convective heat transfer boundary condition development.
- Dynamic - transient, harmonic, random vibration, shock, and rigid and flexible body dynamics.
- Fatigue, fracture, and damage tolerance using industry standard tools such as NASGRO.
- Improving and streamlining thermal and structural analysis methods and best practices.
- Bachelor's degree in an engineering field
- 5+ years of experience in structural analysis
- Strong understanding of fundamentals of solid mechanics and statics (thermal/mechanical)
- Experience with Finite Element Analysis (FEA) and commercial tools such as Ansys, Abaqus, or Nastran
- Strong drive to deliver on ambitious schedules
Preferred Skills and Competencies:
- Experience with nonlinear finite element analysis: plasticity and creep
- Experience with structural dynamics: rigid and flexible body dynamics, modal, random vibration, rotordynamics
- Experience in thermal analysis modeling and boundary condition development
- Experience with regeneratively cooled combustion chamber, fluid system, and heat exchanger design and analysis
- Experience with fatigue, fracture, and damage tolerance analysis
- Experience presenting analytical results and making suggestions for design or performance improvements
- Experience leading teams
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.