As a data scientist at Grindr, you will be working closely with product managers, product designers, and engineers to devise insightful metrics, design experiments, apply your statistical expertise to guide key decisions, and build visualizations. You will have the opportunity to work on models that are deployed to production and improve quality of life for our millions of users. You will also be an informal ambassador for the Data Science team to the rest of the organization, educating a diverse group on the many unintuitive aspects of data science.
You will be a member of the data organization at Grindr, which integrates data scientists, analysts, and engineers into a single cohesive and collaborative team. This is a rare opportunity to learn, teach, and have an outsized impact alongside some of the top minds in the field.
What You’ll Do
- Extract actionable insights from broad, open-ended questions
- Design and evaluate experiments to measure the impact of product changes
- Analyze data from across the product to uncover the root causes of metric movements
- Communicate results to cross-functional stakeholders to inform product decisions
- Develop tools to scale and automate analyses, improving productivity across the company
- Provide mentorship and guidance to team members + identify and recommend best practices
- Devise ML solutions to improve recommendations, detect spam, and better serve our users
- Apply an engineering mindset: minimize complexity while maximizing utility & maintainability
- BS or higher in Computer Science, Statistics, Mathematics, Physics, a related quantitative field, or equivalent experience
- 4+ years of industry data science experience
- Experience effectively communicating & collaborating with non-technical stakeholders
- A deep understanding of the “why” behind your work, not just the how
- Strong Python skills in data analysis using pandas and Jupyter Notebook
- Expertise in software engineering best practices: git, modular design, DRY, etc...
- Experience writing and optimizing complex SQL queries on large data sets
- A strong background in inferential statistics, especially in an experimentation setting (hypothesis testing, power analysis, experimental design)
- A strong machine learning background with a deep understanding of when ML is the right tool and the subtle science of creating models that function well in the real world
- Experience in big data technologies like Spark
Location: West Hollywood or Remote from the U.S. or Canada
- Grindr – The location-based social app that started it all. Over 3 million people use Grindr daily, from every country on the planet.
- Grindr for Equality (G4E) – Our social mission to promote justice, health, and safety for LGBTQ individuals around the globe.
- BLOOP - A space for Grindr users to connect around sex, dating, and everything else happening on—and off—the apps.