Senior Data Scientist
About This Role
At Apeel Sciences, we look to nature to help the global food system improve quality, reduce waste, and ensure an abundant future for our planet. We are seeking a Senior Data Scientist who will be responsible for cleaning, organizing, and analyzing data in order to glean meaningful insights and build predictive models to streamline our decision-making process. You will develop an understanding of the underlying science of our product and how our business functions and stay abreast of new advances in machine learning and AI.
What You’ll Do
- Work with the data science team and stakeholders across the organization to help build out a cutting-edge data science organization and advance the state-of-the-art in produce analytics and logistics
- Develop actionable data insights that uncover trends, inefficiencies, and opportunities for improving the quality of produce delivered to the consumer
- Develop data analysis and machine-learning projects (querying databases; gathering, compiling, and cleaning data from multiple sources; performing unsupervised data analysis (PCA, K-means, etc.); performing statistical analyses on datasets (e.g., hypothesis testing, Bayesian inference, detecting utliers/anomalies); and building data pipelines and supervised machine-learning models)
- Learn and advance new algorithms for data science, numerical methods, statistics, and optimization
What You’ll Bring
- MS/PhD in a quantitative field or 4+ years of experience in a relevant role
- Strong background in applied statistics (highly preferred)
- Experience in programming (a strong Python and SQL background is highly desirable)
- Experience with data science packages (e.g., Scikit-Learn, Pandas, Numpy, Scipy, TensorFlow, pymc) (preferred)
- Problem-solving expertise
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
Apeel believes that the scale of our impact is determined by the teams that work with us. As such, we seek to build high-performing teams of people from various experiences and backgrounds who can collectively push our company into new realms. We seek a diverse pool of applicants and consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, ancestry, color, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, citizenship, disability, Veteran status, marital status, or any other protected status. If you have a special need or disability that requires accommodation, please let us know.
Please note that Apeel Sciences does not accept unsolicited resumes from recruiters or employment agencies. In the event of a recruiter or agency submitting a resume or candidate without a signed agreement being in place, we explicitly reserve the right to pursue and hire such candidates without any financial obligation to the recruiter or agency. Any unsolicited resumes, including those submitted directly to hiring managers, are deemed to be the property of Apeel Sciences.