Senior Data Scientist, Recommendations at Tinder
| Greater LA Area
Sorry, this job was removed at 4:11 a.m. (PST) on Tuesday, July 27, 2021
Tinder brings people together. With tens of millions of users and a presence in every country on earth, our reach is expansive and rapidly growing.
The Analytics team powers data-informed decision-making at Tinder, and we are hiring a Senior Data Scientist to join our growing team. This individual will serve as the Analytics lead for our Recommendations product pod, a cross-functional team optimizing the algorithm that determines which Tinder profiles will be shown to members who use our app. Our Recommendations algorithm is the foundation for every single connection that occurs on our platform.
We are looking for creative, tenacious problem solvers who are passionate about our product, fascinated by our complex two-sided ecosystem, and excited to explore our rich dataset. You will maximize a comprehensive dataset of user behaviors to develop experiments, forecasting models, automated reports, and various exploratory insights to understand and improve our members’ experience. You will also be a leader on the Analytics team, mentoring more junior Data Scientists, driving Analytics-led projects, and pushing the team to improve their knowledge and toolset.
An effective Senior Data Scientist at Tinder must have a passion and aptitude for turning sophisticated problems into concrete hypotheses that can be answered through meticulous data analysis and A/B testing. You must be able to disseminate findings and recommendations to a variety of partners across the organization via presentations, reports, and dashboards. You must also distinguish yourself as a leader, both on the Analytics team and across the company. In this role, your insights will influence the performance of our business, the experience of our users, and the direction of Analytics at Tinder.
Note, we are open for this role to also be based in San Francisco or Palo Alto, CA.
What You'll Do:
- Be a thought leader for the Analytics team, the Recommendations pod, and the broader organization, using data to constantly challenge and reshape our understanding of customer behavior and business performance
- Derive and communicate data-driven recommendations regarding both the prioritization of potential product initiatives and performance of current initiatives
- Define and operationalize the detailed tracking of company-wide, team-specific, and product-specific performance metrics via rollup tables, dashboards, and automated reporting
- Collaborate closely with the machine learning team, engineers, and product managers to understand and improve our recommendations engine
- Design and analyze experiments to rigorously test specific hypotheses
- Find the “story” in the data and share insights across the organization
- Mentor/advise other Data Scientists on the Analytics team
- Bachelor’s degree in a quantitative field (e.g. Economics, Computer Science, Statistics), Master’s degree or PhD preferred
- 4+ years of experience in data science or analytics
- Ability to develop a nuanced business understanding, testable hypotheses, and meaningful findings from data
- Eagerness to identify and explore new product opportunities, potential improvements to our data infrastructure, and unanswered questions about customer behavior
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills, and a willingness to collaborate with business partners
- Experience with A/B testing, SQL, and data visualization tools (e.g. Tableau or Mode)
- Proficiency in Python or R
- Understanding of two-sided marketplaces, machine learning, and advanced statistical techniques
As part of our team, you’ll enjoy:
• Working on a product that has an immediate impact on people’s lives all around the world
• Collaborating with a team of creative, fun and driven colleagues
• Comprehensive health coverage, competitive salary, 401(k) employer match, Employee Stock Purchase Plan (ESPP)
• Other perks and wellness benefits like a fitness membership subsidy, paid concierge medical membership, pet insurance offerings, and a commuter subsidy
• Access to mental health resources
• Fertility preservation benefits
• No Meeting Wednesdays, an annual Learning + Development stipend, and access to a wide range of product and service discounts through Perkspot
• Charitable donations match up to $15,000 annually
• Monthly and weekly interactive virtual events including Book Club, trivia with prizes and yoga workouts
• The opportunity to join six active Employee Resource Groups (ERGs)
At Tinder, we don’t just accept difference — we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our product, and our community. We strive to make our workplace an inclusive and diverse environment, giving people from all walks of life the opportunity to have a voice. We champion and encourage those who bring different perspectives, ideas, and creativity to join our team dedicated to bringing people together across the globe. Tinder is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace where we welcome all people regardless of sex, gender identity, race, ethnicity, disability, or other lived experience.