Senior Data Scientist - Marketing and Sales
Who is LegalZoom?
We have a rich history delivering against our mission to Democratize Law. For two decades, we have reduced the barriers to access legal assistance for both consumers and small businesses. From Estate Planning to Business Formations to IP, we’ve helped more than four million customers through simple, intuitive questionnaires and access to attorneys when needed. In doing so we have provided the protection and peace of mind that our customers need. While we’ve accomplished a great deal, we believe there is so much more we can do to innovate and deliver for our customers. We’re committed to making our services more valuable and easier to use than ever before and we believe we can continue to infuse expertise and confidence into all of our products and services.
The Data Science and Engineering team at LegalZoom helps us make measurably better decisions, faster. We do this through everything from shaping our marketing strategy to running experiments that let us know how well our strategy is performing. As a Senior Data Scientist on our Marketing and Sales Data Science team, you’ll tackle many of the existential questions facing our business. Questions such as how do we know which portions of our marketing and sales investment are driving customer acquisition, what should our pricing strategy be, and which prospective customers should we target are all places where we are working to help make better decisions.
Specifically, in this role you will:
- Perform descriptive and predictive analyses to form hypotheses about how we can grow the business through better marketing spend and sales operations
- Influence LegalZoom leadership to pursue our hypotheses so that we better serve customers and grow our business
- Design and run experiments to test our hypotheses, including the definition of metrics that will enable us to understand customer behavior
- Interpret experiment results and use them to drive strategic and tactical recommendations for how to better reach our customers
- Provide insights at scale through building pipelines and dashboards that share the metrics you’ve created to provide us a more complete view of our customers
- Work closely with Marketing and Sales to help them better understand how to use data as well as form their own hypotheses so we can move faster
We look for the following qualities and qualifications in a senior data scientist:
- Intellectually Curious – You know that stones are put there to be turned over and are always trying to look at things in a different way. You can’t stop asking “why” until you get to the truth.
- Sees the Big Picture but Sweats the Details – You never lose sight of why the work you're doing matters. At the same time, you know that the devil is in the details. When working with a new set of data for the first time, you trust but verify that data are correct and make sense. But above all you always true back to the original question and make sure you’re making progress in answering it.
- Speaks Up - Being right a lot is important but only if it leads to others taking action. You speak up - especially when it seems controversial to do so - because you know that we’re all trying to do the right thing and want the best ideas to win.
- Technically Sound – Your code is easy to read and correct. You know SQL really well and can probably write some Python or R. You can use visualization tools such as Tableau or Superset to produce straightforward visualizations that people can understand. You’re good at generalizing problems and building solutions that answer the question at hand as well as the ones that are likely to follow. Your colleagues like working on things you’ve built because they’re thoughtfully designed and well-constructed.
- Analytically Sound – Your use of data and analytical techniques is sound. You understand the statistical underpinnings of experimentation and can design robust experiments. You define metrics that capture relevant customer behaviors in a way that doesn’t mislead. The models you build get the most predictive power out of the data we have because you understand how the techniques you’re using work and know how to transform data so that those techniques are most effective. Sometimes you break the rules but you know the rules and have a principled reason for why you are doing so.
- Good Learner - There is far more out there to know than any one of us can know but if given a little time you can pick up whatever it is you need to know to do the job. You efficiently seek answers for yourself but also know when to ask for help.
- Intentional – You know what your priorities are and why they are your priorities. When asked to help with something, you seek to understand why it is important and consider whether it makes sense to help before saying yes.
- Relevant Experience – You've done something like this before. Whether it be a previous role in data science and analytics or something where you had to demonstrate the above qualities, at the senior level we need you to have some prior experience. In some cases, this can come from your academic background which is probably something STEM or with a quantitative bent.
It is also worth noting that we are working remotely through at least 2021 and when we return to the office (we’re in San Mateo, CA, Glendale, CA, and Austin, TX) will have a hybrid working model.
If you have the above qualities and think it would be fun to work in an open and fast-moving environment in which we democratize law, then we look forward to receiving your application!