The big data space is growing rapidly at Grindr and we’re looking to add a Senior Data Engineer with chops in cutting edge real-time streaming technologies and ambitions to achieve high quality and reliability with TDD, automation, and continuous delivery. Beyond the data pipeline, you will also be instrumental in bringing the data-driven products and features to life and helping build the future of Grindr.
In this role, you will have the opportunity to work with our product teams, building models and APIs to drive new features, delivers analysis to further improve engagement in existing features, and empowers our business with real-time insights to drive growth in market share, engagement, and revenue. We see 1 trillion events per year and process 10TB of data daily.
Location: West Hollywood or Remote from the U.S. or Canada
- Design, develop and deliver data products to production, complying with internal data governance, security and scalability of our system.
- Moving implementation to ownership of real-time and batch processing and data governance and policies.
- Maintain and enforce the business contracts on how data should be represented and stored.
- Stay on top of new technologies through R&D and prototyping to continuously improve our big data architectures and systems to streamline how we deliver value with high quality to our end users
- Implementing ETL processes, moving data between systems including S3, Aurora, Redshift, Redis, Kafka, and Spark.
- Work closely with our Data Scientists, SREs, and Product Managers to ensure software is high quality and meets user requirements.
Skills and Qualifications
- 5+ years of experience working with data at scale, specifically with distributed systems (Spark, MapReduce, Redshift)
- 7+ years experience with Scala, Java
- Significant experience with relational databases and query authoring (SQL) in Postgres or other distributed Databases.
- Experience with agile engineering practices such as TDD, Pair Programming, Continuous Integration, automated testing, and deployment.
- Experience with building stream-processing systems, using solutions such as Kafka, Storm or Spark-Streaming
- Experience with dimensional data modeling and schema design in Data Warehouses
- Familiar with ETL (managing high-quality reliable ETL pipelines)
- Be familiar with legal compliance (with data management tools) data classification, and retention.
Why Work at Grindr?
Since 2009, Grindr has built the world’s largest social network for gay, bi, trans, and queer people. Now more than just an app, we’re a family of lifestyle brands with the shared mission to connect LGBTQ people with the world around them:
- Grindr – The location-based social app that started it all. Over 3 million people use Grindr daily, from every country on the planet.
- Grindr for Equality (G4E) – Our social mission to promote justice, health, and safety for LGBTQ individuals around the globe.
- BLOOP - (In App) Each week we serve up freshly-juiced content highlighting user experiences, dating advice, grooming tips, queer pop culture & more.
Behind the brands, Grindr is an inclusive and passionate family of thinkers, innovators, leaders, and most importantly, doers. We’re fueled by endless curiosity, constant collaboration, and a knack for crossing every finish line – all within an agile growth environment. We also enjoy tons of perks, great social events, and stunning views from our HQ in West Hollywood.
Benefits & Perks
- 100% vision, dental, & medical premium coverage
- Generous Parental Leave
- Flexible Time Off Policy
- Competitive Salaries
- 401k Match
- Stocked kitchen
- Free on-site parking
- Casual dress environment
- Office Daily Catered Lunch (when not working from home)
Grindr is an equal opportunity employer