Principal Data Engineer at Procore Technologies
What if you could use your technology skills to develop a product that impacts the way communities’ hospitals, homes, sports stadiums, and schools across the world are built? Construction impacts the lives of nearly everyone in the world, and yet it’s also one of the world’s least digitized industries, not to mention one of the most dangerous. That’s why we’re looking for a talented Principal Data Engineer to join Procore’s journey to revolutionize a historically underserved industry.
As a Principal Data Engineer on Procore’s Enterprise Data Services team, you’ll lead the design and development of big data predictive analytics. You’ll help manage a high-performance team of Data Engineers and contribute to designing, building, testing, scaling, and maintaining data pipelines from various source systems and streams (Internal, third party, cloud-based, etc.), according to business and technical requirements.
This position will report to our Senior Director, Enterprise Data Services and can be based in our Carpinteria, CA headquarters, Austin, TX office, or work remotely from any US location. We’re looking for someone to join our team immediately.
What you’ll do:
- Lead the design and development of big data predictive analytics using object-oriented analysis, design and programming skills, and design patterns
- Implement ETL workflows for data matching, data cleansing, data integration, and management
- Maintain existing data pipelines, and develop new data pipeline using big data technologies
- Responsible for leading the effort of continuously improving reliability, scalability, and stability of the enterprise data platform
- Contribute to and lead the continuous improvement of the software development framework and processes by collaborating with Quality Assurance engineers
- Reproduce, troubleshoot and determine the root cause of production issues
- Deliver observable, reliable, and secure software, embracing the “you build it, you run it” mentality, and focus on automation and GitOps
- Participate in daily standups, team meetings, sprint planning, demo/retrospectives while working cross-functionality with other teams to drive the innovation of our products
What we’re looking for:
- 7+ years of experience in a Data Engineering position along with a BS degree in Computer Science, a similar technical field of study, or equivalent practical experience; MS or Ph.D. degree in Computer Science or a related field is preferred
- Strong expertise with 5+ years of experience building enterprise techniques for large scale distributed system design and data processing
- Must want to be actively hands-on code using Java and Python (70-90%) along with willingness and passion for mentoring junior engineers and performing code reviews
- Experience building data pipeline framework for data workflow to process large data sets and Real-Time & Batch Data Pipeline development
- Possess strong knowledge or familiarity with Apache Beam, or AWS managed services for data (Glue, Athena, Data Pipeline, Flink, Spark) and Snowflake
- Develop data catalogs and data cleanliness to ensure clarity and correctness of key business metrics
- Experience building streaming data pipelines using Kafka, Spark, or Flink
- Experience building and maintain data warehouses in support of BI tools
- Experience in processing structured and unstructured data into a form suitable for analysis and reporting with integration with a variety of data metric providers ranging from advertising, web analytics, and consumer devices
- Strong knowledge of common algorithms, data structures, object-oriented programming, and design
Procore Technologies is building the software that builds the world. We provide cloud-based construction management software that helps clients more efficiently build skyscrapers, hospitals, retail centers, airports, housing complexes, and more. At Procore, we have worked hard to create and maintain a culture where you can own your work and are encouraged and given resources to try new ideas. Check us out on Glassdoor to see what others are saying about working at Procore.
We are an equal opportunity employer and welcome builders of all backgrounds. We thrive in a diverse, dynamic, and inclusive environment. We do not tolerate discrimination against employees on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, gender identity or expression, marital status, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other classification protected by law.
Perks & Benefits
You are a person with dreams, goals, and ambitions—both personally and professionally. That's why we believe in providing benefits that not only match our Procore values (Openness, Optimism, and Ownership) but enhance the lives of our team members. Here are just a few of our benefit offerings: competitive health care plans, unlimited paid vacation, stock options, employee enrichment and development programs, and friends & family events.