Clutter is an on-demand, technology company based in Los Angeles that is disrupting the $50B/year self-storage and moving industries. We’ve built an end-to-end logistics and supply chain platform that enables us to offer consumers a much more convenient solution at price parity with the incumbents. We’ve raised $300M from a number of VCs, including SoftBank, Sequoia, Atomico and GV (formerly Google Ventures). We have 500+ team members and tens of thousands of customers in 7 major markets across the US with plans to be in 50+ markets, domestically and internationally, within the next 5 years!
At Clutter, we're fortunate to be providing a consumer value proposition that people love and one that makes economic sense - a true product/market fit that few startups ever find. To deliver on our promise to consumers, team members and investors, we're focused on hiring, training and retaining exceptional individuals. This means that we have a very thorough interview process and maintain high performance expectations, but we'll always be transparent with you and respectful of your time.
We are looking for a self-driven Manager of Real Estate Investments to help Clutter execute on its self-storage and industrial real estate ambitions. The role’s responsibilities include building out an internal real estate private equity function within Clutter and leading the company's efforts related to acquisition underwriting, transaction execution, and investment memorandum preparation. Responsibilities also include crafting capitalization strategy, liaising with joint venture partners, and ownership of our investment success.
What you'll do:
- Build the roadmap for an internal real estate private equity unit capable of intelligently deploying billions of dollars of capital
- Identify and make key hires to build out the roster to support your roadmap
- Build upon Clutter’s current underwriting methodology to establish a differentiated, scalable approach to identifying and capturing value
- Direct the preparation of initial asset level business plans, including documentation of strategy and forecast of financial performance
- Write acquisition briefs for investment committee
- Present and defend potential deals to the investment committee for approval
- Draft letters of intent (LOIs) for new deals and work with the Head of Real Estate Acquisitions to negotiate with potential sellers
- Direct market research for potential deals
- Oversee due diligence for closings
- Interact and negotiate with sell-side real estate brokers, maintain professional relationships and network as needed
- Identify financial risks and provide mitigation strategy for risks
What we're looking for:
- Bachelors and/or Master's Degree in Accounting, Finance, Economics, or a related field
- 4-7 years of experience, with 2+ years in real estate private equity or in real estate principal investments
- Strong work ethic and ability to support multiple projects in parallel and prioritize competing demands under the pressure of time-sensitive deadlines
- Excellent Microsoft Office skills with a focus on Excel
- Strong analytical and financial management skills
- Strong written & verbal communication skills
- Comfortable delivering frequent direct written and oral feedback
Clutter is committed to fostering a fair, inclusive, and equal work environment. We strive to create a workplace that reflects the communities that we serve, where each team member is empowered to come to work as their true self. Diverse teams are more successful, which is why Clutter aims to be a leader in workplace equality and move both our company and the industry forward.