Lead Data Science Engineer (Internal Tools)
FabFitFun is seeking a Data Science Internal Tools Engineer to help build data into every part of the business. In your role, you will design, scale, and maintain software for our fast-growing Data Science organization, helping to define data science best practices in code. You will be expected to work closely alongside members of the Data Science, Analytics, and Data Engineering teams, leveraging your data expertise to support the development of statistical models in production, improve data visualization practice, make rapid iteration in modeling possible, and diagnose bottlenecks in the development process. Your code will empower our Data Science team to deploy best-in-class models and visualizations as core features of our products and our business decision-making.
What you’ll do:
- Work with data scientists, analysts, and engineers to develop tools and frameworks that will speed up iteration of models and make development more consistent.
- Develop new visualization pipelines to surface data science across the business.
- Design, scale, and maintain central repositories of fast, reusable, optimized code for key internal tasks and models.
- Focus on the performance of individual jobs in our processing pipelines; understanding the algorithms that power them and the tradeoffs and bottlenecks that affect their runtime and resource consumption.
- Mentor members of the Data Science and other data teams who are eager to improve their software engineering skills; be a role model who exemplifies coding and software design best practices.
What you’ll ideally bring:
- B.S. or M.S. (Ph.D. a plus) in computer science, statistics, applied mathematics, engineering, or other discipline with strong data programming requirements.
- 4+ years (or equivalent graduate experience) as a data scientist or software engineer on a data team.
- Fluency in Python and key data science and visualization packages, including package authoring and deployment.
- Experience with R is a major plus.
- Comfort working directly with Data Science, BI / Analytics, Product, Merchandising, and other internal consumers to bridge product requirements with Data Science.
- Excellent problem solving skills and ability to interpret and analyze data; real-world experience with statistical analysis is a major plus.
- Previous experience with Apache Spark or similar large-scale data processing frameworks is also a major plus.
What you’ll get:
- Opportunity to work on core data science problems with immediate business impact
- A modern data science platform with full ownership over deploying and optimizing code and models
- Full support from dedicated data engineering and business intelligence teams
- Amazing benefits including medical, dental, vision, FSA, and 401k
- Unlimited PTO
- Catered meals, kitchen stocked with great snacks and drinks
- Free FabFitFun subscription and and quarterly credit in the Add-Ons store