Engineering Manager, Data Platform at sweetgreen
Data Platform Manager
Location — Culver City, Irvine, or San Diego CA - Engineering Team
Reports to — VP of Engineering
At sweetgreen, the data platform team is at the source of all insights and key decisions in the company. Our data engineers take on the challenge of data collection and transformation from dozens of data sources, both internal and external to the company, and provide paths to access data for the purpose of insights and analysis. While there is a lot that goes into a well polished insight at sweetgreen, the data engineers are the first responders, gatekeepers and enablers for data driven business decisions. They play a critical role for the company’s success as it continues to move forward under the guidance of its data.
The Data Platform team manager is expected to build a team driven by principles of engineering excellence that will support the growth of our data platforms. Working closely with other departments, the Data Platform manager is responsible for the development and operation of data pipelines and data warehouses powering business intelligence tools.Your Objectives
- Manage a team of engineers in support of achieving results within your roadmap/portfolio. Own responsibility for their execution, performance, career progression, and morale as members of sweetgreen at large. Ensure their reputation and performance are reflective of the high standards for professionalism and excellence expected of Business Applications personnel.
- Develop a strategy and deploy a complete operational model articulating all of the team’s responsibilities. This will require defining and deciding on projects, process, and technology updates to the current platform, as well as being implemented in a sequence of logical steps that allows sweetgreen to realize incremental value over the short term while maintaining high delivery velocity.
- Optimize resources within your span of control via a blend of people, process, technology, and data mechanisms. Ensure that business teams understand the full range of technical options available to them, educate teams on how to take advantage of these capabilities, and partner to drive decision-making and outcomes based on these capabilities.
- Develop and own forward-looking multi-year plan for leveraging data as an asset —via self-service access, enabling predictions, live data analytics— with detail appropriate to the level of understanding for what will be required in meeting sweetgreen’s audacious goals. Maintain competitive research on best practices and leading vendor platforms, and have an opinion on how sweetgreen should leverage these and why. Communicate this on an ongoing basis to stakeholders at all levels.
You have solid fundamentals with modern data platforms, data lifecycle, product/program management. You might have a technical degree. You might not. That’s not what we’re looking for. We care about what you can do and how you do it, not about how you got here. A strong track record of building teams and thoughtful work speaks volumes.
You bring the following skills to the team:
- Inspirational leadership, team builder and team player.
- Strong experience in the areas of data warehouse, ELT, and data lifecycle management.
- Security first mindset when building software.
- Knowledge and experience with agile methodologies.
- Strong mentoring and team-building experience.
- Strong communication, and prioritization skills
We’re committed generalists, eager learners, emotionally intelligent, and curators of what’s essential. We’re skeptics, and constantly driving towards quantifying value or looking for the upside. We see things through. We reach for responsibility and hold ourselves accountable. We show up for the work and for each other. We want strong, diverse teams built from different backgrounds, experiences, and identities. We’re ready for the ongoing work that goes into building an inclusive, supportive place for you to do the best work of your career.
Nurturing trust is part of the work. That comes with direct feedback, openness to each others’ experience, and willingness to show up for each other as well as for the technical work at hand. We value people who can take a stand, yet commit even when they disagree. We understand the value in others being heard. We subject ideas to rigorous consideration and challenge each other, but all remember that we’re here for the same purpose: to do good work together. Our projects may end, but we’re in this for the long term.
What you'll get:
- Three different medical plans to suit your and your family's needs
- Dental and Vision insurance
- Flexible PTO plan
- 401k; company match of 50% up to 3% of employee contribution
- 5 months paid family leave; we believe in fully supporting new parents
- Employee HSA and FSA
- Complimentary greens
- An opportunity to make a real impact on the people around you, both by growing them and by connecting them to real food
- To live the sweetlife and celebrate your passion + purpose
- A collaborative family of people who live our core values and have your back
- A clear career path with opportunities for development, both personally and professionally
- Free sweetgreen swag
Come join the sweetlife!
sweetgreen is on a mission to build healthier communities by connecting people to real food. We passionately believe that real food should be convenient and accessible to everyone. Every day in each sweetgreen, our 3,500 team members make food from scratch, using fresh ingredients and produce delivered that morning. And in our local communities, we’re committed to leaving people better than we found them. We’re in the business of feeding people, and we’re out to change what that means.
sweetgreen provides equal opportunities for everyone that works for us and everyone that applies to join our team, without regard to sex or gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, pregnancy, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, any service, past, present, or future, in the uniformed services of the United States (military or veteran status), or any other consideration protected by federal, state, or local law.
sweetgreen participates in the federal government's E-Verify program to determine employment eligibility. To learn more about the E-Verify program, please click here.