Dave is a banking app on a mission to create financial opportunity that advances America’s collective potential. Dave's financial tools, including its debit card and spending account, help its more than 10 million customers bank, budget, avoid overdraft fees, find work and build credit.
Dave is a virtual-first company, which means there is no preference on where team members get their work done. Employees are able to live anywhere in the United States, with the only exception of Hawaii for now. For those who want to work in an office setting on a more regular basis, we will eventually open offices in Los Angeles and San Francisco.
Dave is backed by Mark Cuban, Norwest Venture Partners, Section 32, and Financial Venture Studios, among many others and just announced our plans to go public by the end of 2021.
We are building a high quality, high performing Research team. If your leadership style and approach is defined by having a strong sense of empathy, constantly looking for ways to impact users' lives at scale, curiosity, and commitment to collaboration and continuous learning and development, then this is the place for you. This is an opportunity to get in early and be a formative part of establishing both the research and the product design culture here at Dave.
Research & Insights sits within the larger Design org at Dave. In addition to direct engagement with designers, product managers, marketing, and business partners, the research team is expected to propose and sponsor separate research initiatives which help develop and support the Dave roadmap. Research & Insights at Dave spans design research, user research, and market insights and incorporates both quantitative and qualitative skillsets.
We’re looking for an inspiring Research Director to manage a small research team of in house experts and selected partners to drive quality and results for our users across the product lifecycle. This role reports directly to the Head of Design, and works closely with cross-functional partners in Product and Marketing, to lead, manage and grow a team of researchers to shape and build the experience and our product roadmap.
You’ll be in a position to influence the core experience of our app creating, the foundation for Dave to build upon for years to come. You’ll oversee the generative research to inform new product development, ensure quality formative research partnerships and sponsor evaluative research and inquiry into target audiences. You will ensure your team is both asking the right questions, and asking the questions the right way, at the right point in process for maximum utility. Beyond conducting primary research, you will enable other Daves (designers, product managers, etc) to learn and apply research skills as appropriate.
You will help lead strategy and give guidance to direct the future of our product, all while hiring, growing, and inspiring an amazing team of researchers.
Additionally, you’ll serve on the leadership team for the Design organization and in that role, you will be fundamental to creating and nurturing our culture. You’ll provide thoughtful leadership to your reports and mentorship to the broader team. You’ll also partner with the rest of Design leadership, tackling when and how to systematize how we work as a group.
While your product work-- and the team’s work-- itself will not be in the 0-1 space, this is a 0-1 role; a space for seekers and builders.
What You'll Do
- Lead and manage the User Research team which includes qualitative, quantitative, user and market researchers working across product and marketing teams.
- Hire and develop Researchers to meet business demands and organizational needs in a rapidly growing global company.
- Evaluate and prioritize work based on business strategy, roadmap, product needs, and user excellence, and urgency; make outsource/insource tradeoffs without impact to results delivery.
- Work with Design leadership to determine design and research direction and strategy.
- Develop deep partnerships with our Product Management, Marketing, and Engineering teams to deliver user insights that inform product and go-to-market decisions.
- Inspire and motivate a diverse team of researchers to do the best work of their careers by continuously improving how they employ UXR methods and drive product development using research insights.
- Develop programs that disseminate research broadly across Dave and ensure users’ voices remain at the forefront of key strategic initiatives.
- Collaborate with Design Operations to inform, build, and scale the research infrastructure that makes it easier for Dave to do more and better research.
- Collaborate with Design Operations with regards to outsource/insource decisions and vendor management, in service of scaling research facility effectively and efficiently.
- Foster design thinking/user centric/product strategy skills in cross-functional partners.
- Advocate for the user in partnering to prioritize roadmap, and model advocacy and balance for your team, and the design org as a whole.
- Serve as a member of Design Leadership team, and contribute to career ladders, design principles, etc.
What You'll Need
- 10+ years of experience in Research
- 5+ years of people leadership experience with direct reports under your guidance and leadership, including hiring and developing both managers and individual contributors
- Experience with both direct people leadership and managing/influencing other leaders
- Experience scaling a research team across product life cycle in a high-growth organization.
- Background in Financial services, Fintech, and/or Payments systems preferred
- Proven track record as a highly effective people leader, including:
- A passion for excellence with the ability to inspire others to the highest standards
- Ability to effectively lead the team through change
- Ability to communicate with clarity and consistency and provide an appropriate level of transparency on matters that impact team members’ work and ability to be successful
- Strong emotional intelligence
- Credibility and gravitas to garner the respect and support of the research team, leadership team and other key stakeholders
- Success in attracting and retaining high performing, values aligned team members and creating a team culture where the team can thrive
Benefits & Perks
• Premium Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance plans
• Insurance premiums 100% covered for you and 80% for your dependents
• Company provided Basic Life and Short-Term Disability plans
• Competitive salary and equity compensation packages
• Voluntary Life Insurance and Long-Term Disability plans
• 401(k) savings plan with matching contributions
• Healthcare and Dependent Care Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA)
• Generous and flexible PTO
• Flexible work hours
• Generous paid parental leave
• A collaborative environment with opportunities for learning and growth
• Virtual social events
Dave Inc is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, ethnicity, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, medical condition, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history.