Database Engineer - TechOps at Leaf Group
Leaf Group is looking for a Database Engineer to join our Santa Monica, CA office.
A big vision calls for a big job. As we grow, our need for a Database Engineer grows with us. You will work closely with DevOps, SysAdmins and Development teams.
Leaf Group is a diversified Internet company that builds platforms to enable communities of creators to reach passionate audiences in large and growing lifestyle categories. We create amazing experiences that celebrate the best of art, design and technology. We want people with an intense curiosity, a commitment to high quality service, who embrace the fun of the journey. Come help us disrupt and transform the digital media and art world!
We work in a fun, collaborative environment that is diverse, adventurous, and open-minded. We encourage all of our employees to learn and grow personally and professionally so they can assume greater responsibilities and advance their careers within the department or within one of our operating businesses. Check us out here: https://www.leafgroup.com/brands/
You’ll Report To: Manager, DevOps
What You'll Be Doing:
- Collaborating with Developers, Devops, Sysadmin and Network Engineer to build reliable and scalable services.
- Working with multiple business units on day-to-day operations.
- Installing, monitoring, maintaining, upgrading, and tuning databases supporting a network of websites/business units.
- Performance optimization, rewriting queries, introducing indexes, table partitioning and schema maintenance.
- Implementations of backup and disaster recovery solutions.
- Automating routine DBA tasks through scripting and/or open source tools.
- Investigating database tuning settings to improve performance, availability and reliability on Kubernetes.
- Completing tasks required to maintain service levels of project delivery and ensure the availability of all features and functions.
You’ll be successful if you have a strong understanding of the UNIX systems programming and administration philosophy. We’re looking for a team player who is proactive, collaborative, adaptable, and able to multitask in a fast-paced environment.
What You Have:
- Understanding of the UNIX systems programming and administration philosophy.
- Experience as a DBA and/or Systems Administrator.
- Proficiency in at least two of the following database technologies: MongoDB, PostgreSQL, MySQL and Redis.
- Experience with NoSQL databases such as Couchbase, MongoDB and ElasticSearch.
- Experience working with ETL Work, Stored Procedures, and Triggers.
- Experience designing and supporting development, testing. and production databases.
- Experience setting up replication, sharding and other high availability solutions.
- Working expertise with at least one scripting language: Python, Bash, Golang and Perl.
- Strong Linux working knowledge (preferably RedHat/CentOS family)
- Proactive, collaborative, and a team player.
- Excellent verbal and written communication.
- Not afraid to wear multiple hats - no job being too small or too large.
- We're casual and informal but we work hard and work responsibly. A pleasant and supportive demeanor goes a long way.
- Kubernetes (or any other orchestration frameworks).
- Percona Toolkit such as pt-online-schema-change.
- AWS (RDS/EC2/Redshift) or Google Cloud Platform.
- Ansible, Terraform or Puppet.
- Docker containers.
Who We Are:
We create experiences that celebrate the best of art, design, and technology. We want smart, curious people committed to putting people first, having fun while they work, a commitment to high quality service to make things better and a desire for constant growth. We work in a fun, hard-working collaborative environment that is diverse, adventurous, and open-minded. Check us out here: https://www.leafgroup.com/brands/
What We Have:
- BuiltIn LA's 2019 Best Companies to Work For in Los Angeles
- Comparably's 2018 Top Companies to Work for in Los Angeles
- Winner of the 2017 Best Company for Diversity award Comparably
- Well+Good is the 2018 winner of Fast Company’s Most Innovative Company Award
- MyPlate is the 2018 winner of the Webby Award for Best Design
- Cool office environment and culture
- Discounted gym memberships
- Paid-to-play vacation rewards
- Discretionary unlimited vacation time
- Employee discounts for Saatchi Art, Society6, and Deny Designs
- Medical, Dental, Vision
- Flexible Spending Accounts
Leaf Group, Ltd. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants for all job openings are welcome and will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, or any other basis protected by state, federal, or local law. It is the intent of the Company to comply with all applicable federal, state, and local legislation concerning equal opportunity in employment.
If the Leaf Group Talent Acquisition department, or any current company employee, receives an unsolicited resume from a third party recruiting agency and Leaf Group does not have a signed Agency Agreement active, Leaf Group will not be deemed liable to pay a placement fee. The unsolicited resume will be considered a gift and can be considered for our recruitment efforts.