Data Engineering Manager at GoGuardian
Sorry, this job was removed at 11:14 a.m. (PST) on Wednesday, August 26, 2020
GoGuardian is on a mission to transform education by helping to protect students in the digital space from harmful and distracting content and supporting their mental health. We partner with schools to identify learning patterns and maximize the academic potential of every student. With GoGuardian, educators can engage students with more effective resources while also promoting online accessibility in the most applicable way for their school population.
GoGuardian Engineering is a group of talented, high-performing and capable individuals engaged in important education & society-changing work. We’re seeking someone to manage a small group of data-focused engineers who is not only passionate about the company’s mission, but ready to jump into the deep end of a highly diverse team with a large set of responsibilities. You must be able to learn quickly, establish trust with individuals company-wide, communicate well to many audiences and make decisions.
As a manager of engineers, you’ll be responsible for understanding technical projects, ensuring high quality of work, reasonable delivery timelines, motivating a team, providing career growth opportunities, keeping tabs on performance (both rewarding high performers and taking corrective action for low performers) and understanding non-engineering needs/requirements, among other things. Day-to-day, you’ll be keeping engaged with your team (through 1:1s, evaluating code and pull requests, reviewing design proposals, etc.) and driving longer-term initiatives (e.g. changes to a team’s staff, new on-call rotations, quarterly performance reviews, hiring plans, etc.). Additionally, you’ll need to clearly and effectively communicate status of work upwards and be responsible for implementing and supporting larger, team-wide, department-wide or company-wide initiatives. Both your direct reports and your manager should trust you for support, autonomous execution and timely/accurate feedback.
What You’ll Do
- Work with business stakeholders to identify critical data entities and attributes and capture how data is interpreted by users in various parts of the organization
- Collaborate within an agile, multi-disciplinary team of engineers, product, data analysts, UX designers, QA and scrum master to solve customer problems effectively
- Provide expertise and leadership on making technical decisions, mentoring junior engineers, delivering a platform that provides business value and meets end user goals
- Partner with a cross-functional team of external cloud providers and company business stakeholders to develop a strategic plan for data quality and related operational excellence
- Active communication (both written and verbal) at all levels and with content that is appropriate to the audience
- Strong infrastructure vision and ability to set a clear technical strategy
Who You Are
- 8+ years of experience in the data space spanning data modeling, integration, Extract-Transform-Load (ETL) processing and data pipeline design and implementation
- Extensive database related experience with SQL, relational databases, and NoSQL database like mongoDB/Elasticsearch
- Extensive experience with AWS data management (S3, Redshift) and related tools (Athena, EMR, Kinesis to name a few) in an enterprise environment
- Experience with service oriented architecture and API design highly preferred
- Seasoned exposure to all phases of SDLC (Software Development Life Cycle)
- More than 2 years of experience managing and leading teams of more than five data engineers, preferably across global sites
What You'll Need
- Bachelors/Masters in Computer Science or related field of study
- Strong experience with data tools integration and related processes
- Experience prioritizing and executing data management initiatives across a diverse group of engineering and business stakeholders in a highly agile scrum based environment
- Extensive experience in data delivery across highly distributed systems using streaming technologies (Kafka, Kinesis, Flume to name a few)Strong problem-solving skills to build robust, scalable and maintainable technical solutions at scale
- Help identify and design solutions that allow performing root cause analysis to enable proactive issue resolution and data quality maintenance
- Practical experience in application of machine learning, natural language, and statistical analysis is a plus
- Help achieve executive buy-in for data management initiatives across the company
GoGuardian is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions on the basis of merit and business needs. GoGuardian does not discriminate against employees, applicants, interns or volunteers on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, sex, age, sexual orientation, military and veteran status, registered domestic partner status, genetic information, gender, gender identity, gender expression, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.