Team and Role Overview
At Relativity, we reimagine the way rockets are built and flown. Our team is responsible for testing every part produced by the world’s largest 3D metal printer. We are looking for a structures test specialist to join the team and help us prove that this printing technology is the future. You will play an integral part in building, operating, troubleshooting, and maintaining all of the test stands at our Long Beach manufacturing facility.
The Mission/Outcomes and Objectives
As a member of our Structures Test team, you will be involved in the day-to-day operations of the structural test stands: equipment used to test Terran 1 flight components ranging from actuators tested on benchtop fixtures to full-scale mechanical and cryogenic testing of a flight stage. Your role will include a range of responsibilities:
- Operating the fluids, electronic, and software systems to perform tests per procedure.
- Maintaining test schedules, communicating status, and documenting results.
- Design and assembly of data systems and harnessing
- Implementing changes to increase efficiency, safety, and reliability.
- Commissioning and debugging new test control systems and software.
- Writing control software in collaboration with our Integrated Software Team.
In order to be successful in this role, you should enjoy an operational environment (for example: auto racing pit crew, rocket launch facility, flight-testing, or automated manufacturing). The best candidates will have strong software and hardware skills, as well as familiarity with other disciplines, including mechanics, hydraulics, pneumatics, cryogenics, etc. This experience may come from either professional experience or personal projects. You should excel through the full design cycle, including: defining scope and requirements, generating concepts, refining solutions, and implementing the final product.
During the course of a test campaign, you will be called upon to interface with test engineers, vehicle engineers, and technicians on a daily basis. Your eye for detail and efficiency will aid the team in identifying and implementing process improvements.
Minimum Required Skills and Competencies
- 2+ years of relevant experience in a professional setting.
- Demonstrated ability to design, build, and debug electronic data or control systems.
- Experience developing software in a team environment.
- Ability to communicate design intent to stakeholders at all levels (technicians, engineers, and management).
- Willingness to work non-standard shifts, overtime, and weekends as required.
Preferred Skills and Competencies
- Experience with EtherCAT and/or DeweSOFT.
- Comfortable developing in a Linux environment.
- Fluent in C++ and Python.
- Experience in time critical operations (test operations, launch operations, stage management, pit crews, etc.).
- Experience with real time software.
- Experience with Docker.
- Working knowledge of industry safety practices, such as Lock-Out/Tag-Out, Confined Spaces Entry, and Fall Protection.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer or electrical engineering or a related field.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.