Data Analysis Engineer
At Factual, we’re looking for analytical technologists who love data, learning, and problem solving. Join us as we work to organize and optimize the world’s location information. Our team is focused on cleaning, structuring, and delivering our dataset of over 100 million places to bring contextual awareness to digital devices in the physical world. To make our goals a reality, we end up taking on unusual problems with small, focused teams made up of highly motivated people.
Our Data team is seeking a Data Analysis Engineer to help us ensure we deliver the highest quality Global Places product in the market. In this role, you will investigate and solve complex data quality and delivery problems. You will acquire new data sources and contribute heavily to our data processing software. You will author specifications for new tools and help manage technical projects. In short, you’ll work on everything from experimental data science to implementing production level code to technical product management.
At Factual, we cultivate multidisciplinary engineering teams. Everyone is comfortable writing code and analyzing data, but we expect each individual contributor to bring an additional unique skill or expertise to the table. You should be a fast-working, independent, highly-focused individual who pays strong attention to detail, shows great leadership and organizational skills, and gets things done.
- You hold at least a bachelor’s degree in a quantitative field with coursework in statistics (e.g. Math, Linguistics, Physics, Chemistry, Engineering)
- You have at least 1-3 years of industry experience
- You have significant experience working with data (e.g. via internships or personal projects)
- You excel at data analysis, ETL, and curation
- You have proven experience thrive working independently on ill-defined problems
- You pride yourself on your written and verbal communication skills
- You feel at home on the command line and with text processing
- You enjoy learning new technologies and skills in data processing and analysis
Baseline Skills (these are required):
- Proficient with Unix commands and comfortable working on the command line
- Adept using a scripting language like Python or Ruby to process text files
- Experience with relational and non-relational databases
Specialized Skills (you need expertise in at least one of the following):
- Implementing machine learning pipelines
- Data Querying and manipulation in Spark, Hadoop, and Hive
- Web scraping
Cover letters are greatly appreciated!