Communication Specialist-Data & Analytics/Insights Storyteller (Photshop Exp.)
Universal Music Group is looking for a communication specialists/insight storyteller to join our global data and analytics team based in Santa Monica. This position will report into the data and analytics, strategy and business engagement director and will be responsible for producing compelling data visualizations, presentations, email communications, and/or graphics that translate complex analytical results into concise and compelling prescriptive insights for both internal and external audiences.
Clear and concise (and visually pleasing) communication is essential for this role, as is the ability to collaborate with leadership positions within the business, as well as a growing team of data scientists, analysts, and statisticians on a wide variety of initiatives. These initiatives will require skillful transformation of analytical results and often complex concepts into easy to understand visual narratives that clearly articulate strategy, drive new initiatives, or communicate value propositions and tangible next steps to stakeholders.
Our ideal candidate has a passion for writing and illustrating data-driven visual stories. They love data and are able to coherently speak data to others. In addition to having profound information design and story-telling abilities, they are resourceful, confident under pressure, and comfortable working in a fast paced, growth-oriented, environment. Full disclosure, you'll also have to do the less exciting job of ensuring the our user-base are aware of important departmental updates from time to time, however, you'll hopefully take these on with the same vigor as the more high-profile data driven initiatives.
- Excellent graphic design and visual story-telling ability
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft PowerPoint, Word, Excel as well as Keynote
- Ability to leverage BI tools such as MicroStrategy or DOMO
- Exceptional critical thinking and problem-solving skills
- Detail oriented and organized
- Open and straightforward
- Must be able to present examples of prior work
- Able to travel internationally
- Experience with Adobe Creative Suite, or other graphic design software
- Experience as a copy-writer, editor, or journalist-type role in a data-centric environment
Very Welcome Bonus Skills (but not a deal breaker):
- Experience with HTML5/CSS and python for building dynamic web content
- Experience with web-based data visualization technologies like D3.js
- Understanding of statistical methods and predictive analytics
- BS/BA degree preferably in data-visualization and storytelling, information design, graphic design, communications, business analytics, or related areas.
Universal Music Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
This job description only provides an overview of job responsibilities that are subject to change.