Associate Director - Data Science and Artificial Intelligence Dept. at The Aerospace Corporation
In an era of dynamic change in space, Aerospace is addressing a generation of complex challenges. We operate the only federally funded research and development center (FFRDC) committed exclusively to the space enterprise. Our technical experts span every discipline of space-related science and engineering. Join our team and thrive in a career that matters to the world and you personally.
The Aerospace Corp. is seeking an Associate Director to lead our Data Science and Artificial Intelligence Department!
The qualified candidate will:
- Provide leadership, planning, and direction of technical office staff and operations.
- Assign resources, determines staffing needs, and coordinates activities and operations among subordinate units.
- Communicate and coordinate activities to counterpart organizations, management, and customers.
- Provide technical vision and direction for the department.
- Provide technical and managerial leadership to develop, maintain, and apply organizational expertise to the machine and deep learning challenges across the corporation
- Work with the Director and Section Managers to recruit, hire, mentor, and lead technology experts and developers to provide the corporation with cutting edge data science and machine learning applications and prototypes demonstrating the state-of-the-art in this domain
- Develop and maintain relationships with program offices in order to propose pathfinder projects to sustain the department's activities
- Assign resources, determine staffing needs, and coordinates activities and operations among subordinate units
- Communicate and coordinate activities with counterpart organizations, management, and customers
- Provide in depth technical review and direction of activities performed by the department
- Provide effective management of staff to include performance evaluations and personnel career growth
- Bachelor’s or advanced degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Mathematics, Statistics, or a related field
- The ability to obtain and maintain a Top Secret/SCI security clearance, which is issued by the U.S. government. U.S. citizenship is required to obtain a security clearance
- Previous management experience with highly technical staff
- Fluency in at least one programming language (C++, Java, or similar) and one scripting language (Python, Julia, or similar)
- Familiarity with a broad set of supervised and unsupervised ML-based solutions to complex problems in business, science, or engineering
- Experience with fast prototyping
- Demonstrated initiative and excellent leadership skills, with proven ability to build and manage effective development teams
- Proven ability to establish and maintain effective interpersonal and working relationships with various levels of corporate staff, peers, management, program offices, customers, and contractors
- Demonstrated ability in oral and written communication skills
- Master’s degree or higher in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Mathematics, Statistics, or a related field
- Typically, twelve or more years of experience in an engineering discipline and strong knowledge of data science and machine learning
- Current and active Top Secret/SCI security clearance
- Strong analytical and creative problem-solving skills
- Strong programming skills utilizing Scikit-learn, OpenCV, Keras and/or Tensorflow libraries
- Experience with statistics and probability (building models, testing, properties of distributions, etc…)
- Experience with machine learning methods like random forests, logistic regression, neural networks, k- nearest neighbors, etc…
- Fluency in SQL, NoSQL and other big data querying languages
- Experience in collecting data from/exposing data to various data sources and services (API, XML, JSON, etc…)
- Familiarity with Amazon Web Services for data analytics
- Experience in implementing real-time machine learning and data mining algorithms in large scale environments
- Experience with big data frameworks (e.g. Hadoop, Spark, etc.)
Equal Opportunity Commitment
The Aerospace Corporation is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. We believe that a diverse workforce creates an environment in which unique ideas are developed and differing perspectives are valued, producing superior customer solutions. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, color, religion, genetic information, marital status, ancestry, national origin, protected veteran status, physical disability, medical condition, mental disability, or disability status and any other characteristic protected by state or federal law. If you’re an individual with a disability or a disabled veteran who needs assistance using our online job search and application tools or need reasonable accommodation to complete the job application process, please contact us by phone at 310.336.5432 or by email at [email protected]. You can also review The Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law and the supplement, as well as the Pay Transparency Policy Statement.