Writer, Brand & Product at ChowNow
Greater LA Area
Sorry, this job was removed at 11:23 a.m. (PST) on Tuesday, May 26, 2020
Are you looking for an opportunity to craft engaging communications for a technology brand that has a love of technology, food culture, and design at its core? Do you like creating fresh, thoughtful copy for both web, email, social, and mobile platforms? Is working closely with a down-to-earth, wickedly talented team to develop editorial content across multiple platforms your cup of tea? If so, we may have the perfect opportunity for you.
ChowNow is unique among tech startups in the restaurant space. We power branded online ordering systems for independent restaurants across North America – via websites, Facebook, Google, and through branded iOS and Android apps – and we do it all for a reasonable monthly fee regardless of order volume. We operate this way because of our belief in being fair, sustainable, and equitable with our restaurant partners. And the same goes for our workplace.
Diversity, teamwork, and mutual respect are among our core company values. And we pride ourselves on giving our teams plenty of opportunities to make their mark. To date we’ve created over 14,000 apps for our restaurant partners – something that’s never been done before in our category. And as we expand to new markets, further spreading the word about the ChowNow difference, those opportunities to create, build, and grow will only increase. If this sounds like the kind of workplace, and the kind of mission, that appeals to you, we’d love to talk.
Learn more by checking out our reviews on Glassdoor (they’re excellent). Together we can preserve neighborhood flavor, one restaurant at a time.
About the Position:
As a writer for Brand & Product, you will guide the voice of ChowNow through Product Marketing, Product experience, B2B, B2C, Brand marketing efforts, and internal communications. You will write inspiring copy that conveys the power behind our suite of technology solutions and services. You will craft fun, smart, and culturally relevant headlines that speak to the ChowNow culture. Working with our Product Marketing and Growth teams, you’ll create content that helps convert leads into customers. As the ChowNow voice gatekeeper, your work will have a massive influence on how our customers and their consumers experience our products and services.
We value data and insights, and you will work closely with multiple teams, including Growth, Product Management, and Engineering, to convert these into action items that allow us to iterate on customer insights rapidly. We believe in creating delightful, intuitive experiences, and we pay particular attention to the execution.
This role currently reports into our Executive Creative Director, and your role sits in the Design Team. You will work from our Los Angeles Headquarters.
Specifically, you will:
- Turn ChowNow brand ingredients into engaging and impactful experiences.
- Take technical information and data points and synthesize them into compelling copy for different audiences.
- Partner with our design team to create innovative new services and experiences for our customers and their consumers.
- Help to establish editorial content strategies and plans for owned and paid channels.
- Learn from customer usage and leverage feedback and data to continually iterate, innovate, and evolve the product.
- Work closely with Designers, Engineers, and Product Managers to define new product or service opportunities.
- Communicate your thoughts and decisions effectively to the Executive team.
Within 30 Days You’ll:
- Complete our ChowNow onboarding (Ramp Camp) where you’ll learn the ins and outs about ChowNow and our products.
- Observe 4 product demos with the sales team to better know our customers.
- Conduct an analysis of ChowNow’s products and the competitive landscape.
- Head out to the field to connect with our customers to gain vital insights
- Dissect requirements for new products and services and begin research and exploration for possible solutions.
Within 60 Days You’ll:
- Begin to develop ChowNow Brand Voice guidelines.
- Prepare your initial direction for our editorial content strategy.
- Define the metrics you will use to measure the success of your first pieces of communications.
- Communicate your strategic decisions with stakeholders and the broader team.
Within 90 Days You’ll:
- Talk to customers and the support teams to gain empathy for customer problems, needs, and mental models.
- Develop and explore new experiences for our brand message to be conveyed.
- Help build a streamlined community around our brand and our customers.
- Help develop a robust copywriting education process that allows for maximum alignment.
- Ship your first piece of communication.
You Should Apply If:
- You have a minimum of 6 years combined experience working at an advertising agency, digital agency, or in-house creative department.
- Your portfolio shows the use of strategic insights and writing skills within B2B, B2C, editorial, advertising, digital campaigns, film, and video project. (No PDFs or Downloads)
- You live and breathe writing engaging content.
- You’re a highly motivated person who is self-directed and pays careful attention to detail.
- You’re an outstanding team contributor who is willing to give and receive feedback.
- You have the ability to conceptualize and communicate your ideas to stakeholders and evolve new initiatives within the organization.
- You have an understanding of what makes excellent experiences and design.
- You have experience iterating rapidly and frequently delivering to evolve a product or piece of content, especially within consumer products, SaaS products, mobile applications, social, editorial, and interactive experiences..
- You know tools Sketch, Adobe Suite, and essential prototyping tools such as Principle and Invision.
- You have a deep understanding of how to frame a problem and work with the team to synthesize new solutions.
- You obsess over details and are excited to polish until your work is perfect.
- You take risks, you are not afraid to fail, and you learn from mistakes.
- You’re always looking for inspiration and staying relevant with the latest apps, design trends, shifts in culture, innovations in communication strategies.
- You are curious by nature, you always ask questions to gain insight, and you love to find innovative solutions.
- You are full of creative ideas and capable of validating them through rapid prototyping and user testing.
- You are an engaging communicator, presenting ideas and concepts in a concise and thoughtful manner.
About Our Benefits:
- Competitive compensation
- Ongoing training and growth opportunities
- A best place to work" winner multiple times where we focus on creating a great employee experience
- Rock solid medical, dental, and vision plans
- 3 weeks paid vacation; paid holidays; we expect you to work hard, but still enjoy your personal life
- 6 weeks of baby bonding time for all new parents (within the first year of birth or adoption), 6 Weeks of Paid Pregnancy Leave
- Employer-contributing student loan assistance program
- Commuter benefits (including Uber Pool)
- Employee Stock Incentive Plan
- Quarterly Industry Speakers Series
- Quarterly Tech Events (Women, LGBTQ, Diversity, Inclusion)
- Consistent & fair leadership: we’ll share info, set clear goals, show you respect, and treat everyone fairly
- Enough freedom to spread your wings while still holding you accountable
- Fully stocked kitchen and cold brew on tap
We are committed to an inclusive and diverse work environment. ChowNow is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any legally protected status.
Read Full Job Description