Built In is on a mission to unite technology professionals with their purpose. We do that through the power of content. Today, over one million registered users and 4.5 million technology professionals use our platform every year to learn about innovative companies, new technologies and further their careers.
The caliber of audience we’ve cultivated means that over 1800 companies--from the hottest tech startups to Fortune 500 companies undergoing digital transformation-- trust us to share their employer brand story and fill the technology roles that drive their strategy.
Because we can help employers find hard to recruit talent, our B2B side is thriving. In addition our users are finding great jobs and advancing their careers and knowledge of the tech world with Built In. That means we are rapidly growing our product and technology footprint as we are committed to building the leading SaaS product for employer branding and talent activation.
With venture funding of $30M to date with a $22M Series C raise in 2019, we are poised to disrupt recruiting for hard-to-fill roles and help technologists find their dream jobs--in their city, around the country or completely remote. If you are looking for an award-winning culture, have a desire to help people find their calling and want to be part of building best-in-class technology, Built In might fulfill your purpose.
We're Looking for a Staff Reporter, Guides & Explainers
The staff reporter will be responsible for writing six-plus longform explainer features per month, about topics ranging from people management and company-wide workflows, to emerging trends across a range of verticals within the tech industry. You will join a newly formed team of business reporters whose work supplements our current coverage on topics like software development, design and marketing, with the goal of making Built In a go-to publication for anyone working in, or curious about, tech.
Audience research plays a large role in determining the topics covered by this reporter, but you will work with your editor and members of our growth team to develop a beat for yourself within the world of business reporting. You will take inspiration from our existing coverage (examples below) — as well as from publications like Harvard Business Review, Bloomberg Businessweek and MIT Technology Review — but we also hope to develop new story formats and approaches that help our features stand out.
You’d be joining an ambitious editorial team responsible for telling original stories that help our audience of tech professionals grow professionally and gain a deeper understanding of the industry. (We’re also really fun — we promise.)
Who You Are
- Self-motivated and highly skilled researcher and interviewer.
- Experienced in writing about complex topics for a lay audience.
- Excited about tech and business coverage and constantly thinking about how to make stories more relevant to your audience.
- Always looking beyond the obvious questions to uncover nuances other publications overlook.
What You Need
- Two-plus years of full-time reporting experience, with an emphasis on writing features between 1,500-3,000 words in length.
- Excellent writing and editing skills (please include two or three writing samples when applying).
- A Crash Course in Brand Lift
- How Tech Can Get More Women Into Software Engineering
- Community-Led Growth Is on the Rise
- ‘Digital Twins’ Could Change Healthcare Forever
- Emotion AI Technology Has Great Promise (When Used Responsibly)
- How to Turn Your Annual Quota Into a Daily Sales Plan
Remote Work Notice
Our HQ is in Chicago, but we are open to remote candidates for this position.
Due to the effects of COVID-19, Built In has decided to protect our current and future employees by managing our entire business remotely until further notice. We are continuing to hire for all open roles, and will be interviewing and onboarding virtually. HQ-based employees will temporarily work from home until it is safe to return to our offices.
That said, we’re still offering our full perks and benefits package, including: health, dental, and vision insurance, 401k, equity opportunities, discretionary PTO, food and tech stipend while remote, virtual culture activities, flexible working hours, and more.What We Value
We’re revolutionizing tech recruitment. So we question everything, because the best answers sit just to the right of a question mark. That’s our heritage as a disruptive company — as a company whose future depends on our capacity to innovate with a sense of drive, purpose and urgency. If you join Built In, you will work from this set of values:
- Be Inclusive, Always. We’re committed to a culture where all people are respected, have a say and can be their whole selves. We will uplift and advocate for one another. Always.
- Be Unreasonably Passionate. Our passion is borderline obsessive, and we’re ok with that. No one ever built anything great on a “meh.” We work with outsized passion to fulfill our mission.
- Be Humble. You don’t have all the answers. Luckily, you don’t have to. Don’t worry about being right. Be humble instead.
- Stay Curious. Curiosity is a springboard to the future. It can transform the wisp of an idea into a breakthrough. We ask “what if.” We work with wonder. It’s how we innovate.
- Lead with Solutions. Question everything. But offer solutions as you do. Raise issues. But propose a few answers. For every hole you poke, offer a way to patch it up.
- Own the Result. We have no time for blame or shame. When you stumble, own it, learn from it + get back to business.
- Do More. Do more than your job description. Take initiative. Take charge. No job is beneath you, and no job is too big. Be a leader and do more — do whatever it takes.
Be Inclusive, Always.
Research shows that women and other marginalized groups tend to apply to roles only when they check every point on a job description. We encourage you to apply if you meet the majority of qualifications and this role is aligned with your career trajectory.
Built In is an equal employment opportunity employer. Qualified candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, age, military or veteran status, disability, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
Built In is guided by principles of diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI). We are committed to this work over the long-term, but here’s some of what’s in place today:
- We have five thriving ERG groups: Built In For The People, BuiltOut, United We Parent, Womxn United in Tech and Built In Tribe.
- We have a dedicated Director, HR + Inclusion who oversees our DEI roadmap, which provides our annual metrics, goals and initiatives.
- We are proud to be led by a female CEO and founder.