Staff Editor, MotorTrend at MotorTrend Group
Machines that Move Us.
People who Inspire Us.
Stories that Drive Us.
Check us out: http://bit.ly/MotorTrendG
We are MotorTrend.
With a monthly reach of more than 131 million, the MotorTrend Group is the largest automotive media company in the world. Launched with MotorTrend’s iconic magazine 70 years ago, the company now has a global reach that includes MotorTrend TV, the MotorTrend streaming service, MotorTrend.com, and Hot Rod magazine, with franchises that include MotorTrend Car of the Year, Roadkill, Wheeler Dealers, Best Driver’s Car and dozens more. Our portfolio brings together Discovery’s #1 TV network for automotive super fans, with our vast automotive digital platform that includes direct-to-consumer products, websites, apps, social, and live events.
The people who work at MotorTrend embody the passion of our content, and wake up every day intent on embracing, entertaining, and empowering the motoring world.
Job Summary & Responsibilities:
The Staff Editor | MotorTrend (full-time, salaried, regular) will be responsible for creating and delivering high-quality editorial (both assigned and self-generated) for the MotorTrend brand, ranging from quick-hit daily stories to innovative and expansive features. The Staff Editor must be able to meet their content production goals and will often be asked to perform under tight deadlines. Essential duties and responsibilities include but not limited to:
- Create original editorial for the MotorTrend brand (i.e. features, reviews, columns, video scripts, breaking news, etc.) with a high degree of factual accuracy and grammatical correctness and employing proper search engine optimization techniques.
- Evaluate and road test vehicles in the MotorTrend fleet as assigned.
- Attend various out-of-office events as assigned and file timely editorial from those events.
- Develop large-scale feature story ideas and work with cross-functional teams on planning and execution.
- Establish and maintain industry contacts in order to help further MotorTrend editorial goals.
- Other duties and tasks as assigned by the Editor-in-Chief and Executive Editor.
Supervisory Responsibility: This position may include supervising one or more employees where applicable.
Supervisory responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Provide consistent training, support, and mentorship to team
- Fairly and consistently ensure compliance with company policies and procedures
- Journalism or English degree desired
- At least 5+ years publishing experience preferred
- Previous experience in vehicle evaluation and long-form journalism recommended
- Superior driving skills a plus
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
- Excellent writer able to communicate complex issues in a lively, clear, and concise manner
- Experience working with multi-disciplinary teams engaged in off-site enterprise content creation
- Able to work quickly and meet tight deadlines
- Knowledge of content management tools (i.e. WordPress) and publishing procedures desired
- The ability to sit for prolonged period of time and view computer screen.
- Frequent travel, often for periods lasting 3-10 days.
- Microsoft Office Suite (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Adobe Creative Cloud (InCopy, Photoshop, InDesign)
- WordPress content management system
- SmartSheets workflow tracking system
- Work is performed in an office environment that is well lit and ventilated.
NOTE: This position description reflects management’s assignment of essential functions; it does not prescribe or restrict any other tasks that may be assigned.
We will consider for employment all qualified applicants, including those with criminal histories, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable state and local laws, including but not limited to all local Fair Chance Ordinances.