Do you have a good sense of humor about language in the digital age and can’t resist the opportunity to discuss en dashes or misplaced modifiers? Are you the kind of person who never leaves home without a copy of White and Strunk’s The Elements of Style?
Named to Fast Company's Most Innovative Companies list in 2017, Digiday's Most Innovative Publisher in 2018, and one of Comparably’s Best Companies for Company Culture in 2019, Who What Wear is hiring a Senior Copy Editor to proofread and edit company copy for all verticals across our U.S. and UK properties.
As the Senior Copy Editor, you will be the final eyes on content, ensuring it meets editorial standards as well as each individual brand’s particular voice. Our ideal candidate is a highly skilled top editor, proofreader, and teacher who can offer expert writing advice at a moment’s notice, prioritize departmental needs, and work under tight deadlines. Above all, we are looking for someone who is flexible, adaptable, and can take ownership of their duties in an often fast-paced and quickly changing environment. This role is located in Los Angeles* and will report to the Copy Chief.
*COVID-19 Hiring: We understand how difficult it is to start a new position with a new company in the age of the coronavirus. Our People team and hiring managers are here to guide you through this journey. During the pandemic, all of our offices closed and all employees are working remotely until further notice. That said, all of our recruiting, interviews, and onboarding activities are online. Thank you for your flexibility.
- Proofread all content across the company’s websites, email, and social media accounts for grammatical and typographical errors with accuracy and speed.
- Top-edit site content as needed, evaluating readability, tone, and issues like normativity.
- Excitedly seek out and determine ongoing additions to our in-house style guide, editorial process, and the implementation of each.
- Re-review all editorial posts after publication for quality assurance.
- Work on tight turnarounds to meet hard deadlines.
- Work closely with the editors, providing constructive and concise feedback.
- Minimum of 4 years’ experience in a Copy Editor role, preferably in digital media
- Highest proficiency in American English style, British English a plus
- Precise attention to detail under pressure to meet deadlines
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment with a resourceful, can-do attitude
- Familiarity with Chicago Manual of Style
- CMS/HTML experience highly preferred
- Fashion, beauty, and/or women’s lifestyle content experience preferred
As an editorial candidate, you may be asked to perform certain copy edit tests that will be used solely for the interview and selection process. These assessments will be limited in scope and time and will not be used for any purpose other than candidate assessment.
Benefits & Perks:
- Work/Life Balance: Unlimited time off, paid holidays, summer fridays, paid winter break, and flexible work schedules.
- Wellness: 85%–100% company paid medical, dental, and & vision insurance for employees in addition to short and long term long-term disability coverage and life insurance.
- Financial Well-being: Sponsored 401k plan with unlimited access to financial advisors and planning tools, Bonus eligibility for all employees.
- Opportunity to Do Good: We’re proud to match 100% of employee donations made to organizations that combat racism and/or support recovery from racist acts of violence.
Who What Wear provides an environment of mutual respect where equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants and teammates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy (including childbirth, lactation, and related medical conditions), national origin, age, physical and mental disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information (including characteristics and testing), military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law. Who What Wear believes that diversity and inclusion among our teammates is critical to our success as an international company, and we seek to recruit, develop, and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool.
More about Who What Wear:
Who What Wear is an international fashion company known for its content sites—whowhatwear.com and whowhatwear.co.uk—and its affordable, size-inclusive, and trend-forward line of clothing and accessories. The brand was founded in 2006 by Hillary Kerr and Katherine Power and includes the chart-topping career podcast, Second Life, which is hosted by Kerr. Most recently, Who What Wear launched a sister company, Versed, which is a clean skincare line with products at affordable prices. Headquartered in Los Angeles, Who What Wear also has offices in New York City and London, with Amazon, Greycroft Partners, BDMI, WndrCo, and others as key investors.