Editorial Assistant at Ranker
| Greater LA Area
Sorry, this job was removed at 12:26 p.m. (PST) on Friday, January 31, 2020
Ranker is looking for an obsessively organized and collaborative Editorial Assistant with a get-it-done attitude to join a fast-paced start-up environment in our Los Angeles office. This is an entry-level position that encompasses a combination of administrative and creative responsibilities, both aiding and participating in the editorial process.
The Editorial Assistant will tackle key tasks that help Ranker’s editorial team run like clockwork. This position provides essential administrative support for our senior editorial staff, helps with the day to day editorial taskwork and wrangles special projects. The ideal candidate will have at least some type of editorial, writing, or reporting experience. The person should be highly organized and attentive to detail, opinionated about food, sports, music and pop culture, and an enthusiastic reader of Ranker, familiar with our site’s distinctive approach to listicles.
This is a great opportunity for someone who would like to work in a creative environment and wants to develop skills that would help them grow into an editor or copyeditor role.
What You’ll Do
- Conduct research for various editorial departments for upcoming lists & content
- Meet with editors to brainstorm content
- Assist with compiling and organizing materials for pitch meetings and run-throughs
- Miscellaneous editorial tasks, which may include: keep tallies of publishing output, replace photos, credit photos, maintain group notes, compile data
- Help with administrative tasks for Ranker’s editorial managers.
- Help with research tasks, as needed.
- Tackle special projects as needed
- BA in English, Journalism or relevant Liberal Arts degree
- Some editorial/writing experience, ideally at a digital media company but not necessary
- Strong communications skills: clean, concise prose and good grammar.
- Research experience.
- Comfortable using spreadsheets and project management tools.
- Demonstrated professionalism and good judgment when communicating with internal teams and members of the public.
- Comfortable quickly adapting to changes in software, technology, and processes.
- An interest in pop culture, sports, internet culture or social media.
These skills are not required, but would give candidates a great foundation for succeeding in this role:
- Familiarity with Ranker’s content and social presence.
- Familiarity with editorial processes.
Ranker is the definitive site for votable content on just about everything… from The Best TV Shows to Binge Watch to The Social Issues You Care About Most. With half of our 50M UV’s coming from search and half from social, we have a deeply engaged audience, voting 21x and spending 5.5 minutes per visit. That’s more than E!, Vox and R29 combined.
Ranker sits at the intersection of passion and curiosity with rankings on nearly any topic from film to food. By voting on different list items, fans influence rankings on topics like “The Best TV Shows to Binge Watch” or “The Best Quarterback of All Time.” We also provide in-depth reporting on history, crime, and mysteries, broken up into easily digestible chunks that tell a cohesive story. Ranker is often a source for journalists, whether it is quoting a #1 ranking or reporting on a true crime story.
Read Full Job Description