Director, Written Content
At Edmunds we’re driven to make car buying easier. Ever since we began publishing printed car guides in the 60’s, the company has been in the business of trust, innovating ways to empower and support car shoppers. When Edmunds launched the car industry’s first Internet site in 1994, we established a leadership position online and have never looked back. Now, as one of the most trusted review sites on the Internet, millions of visitors use our research, shopping and buying tools every month to make an easy and informed decision on their next car. For consumers, we bring peace of mind. For dealers, we make tools to help them solve their problems and sell more cars. How do we do it, you ask? The key ingredients are our enthusiastic employees, progressive company culture and cutting-edge technology. Want to join the team? Read on to find out how!
What You’re Applying For:
The new Director, Written Content will be a key member of Edmunds’ 35-person editorial team. They will report directly to the VP Editorial (Editor-in-chief) and work alongside the Director, Social Media and Director, Video & Photography, to deliver industry-leading automotive content. They will also work cross-functionally within the organization, collaborating closely and at a senior level with other departments, e.g. marketing, PR and Product.
In this pivotal role, the Director, Written Content, will oversee a managing editor and a large team of writers responsible for producing review and feature content. They will also write and edit content themselves, as well as contributing to the team’s video and social output. As a leading figure in the team, they will play a prominent role in representing Edmunds’ Editorial, both internally and externally, and help to recruit and nurture new talent. This is an exciting opportunity to be part of one of the largest and most forward thinking editorial teams in the automotive world.
What You’ll Do:
- Work with the VP Editorial to create, execute and evangelize the overall content strategy and report on progress and key results
- Lead the production of written content at Edmunds, overseeing and nurturing writing talent
- Help develop an environment that fosters creativity, communication and transparency
- Work with the managing editor to optimize the workflow, driving industry-best practices
- Write and edit key content, also contributing to video and social output
- Act as a key Edmunds representative at industry events and strengthen our relationships with the OEMs
- Work with internal partners in Marketing, Corporate Strategy, Sales, Product and PR to maximize content exposure across the Edmunds site, other external platforms from social media to apps, and across automotive industry and consumer outlets
- Support internal partners (Marketing, PR, Sales) in their ongoing efforts to evaluate partner relationships
- Collaborate with senior members of the organization to develop and communicate company messaging
- Analyze communication requests from industry and internal partners for events, partnerships and other business development opportunities
What You Need:
- Authentic passion for cars. You're fanatical and deeply knowledgeable about our subject matter, giving you instant credibility both internally and externally
- Automotive industry knowledge and relationships, specifically with OEMs
- Top-level editorial skills with an eye toward the innovation of telling stories in pictures, video, data/infographics, tools and social
- Ability to work cross-functionally within the organization
- Coaching: A deep energy reservoir to cultivate and mentor the creative output of writers, testers, storytellers and operational members to deliver groundbreaking journalism in our industry
- Personal reliability and integrity. Your colleagues know they can rely on you in every respect; you model this trait in all that you do
- High comfort level in taking the initiative and managing multiple projects, people and deadlines with an exacting attention to detail
- Ability to work cross-functionally across the organization
- Strong understanding of audience development, performance metrics and analytics
- Experience managing and mentoring junior team members
- Ability to convey thoughts and ideas clearly and effectively in visual, verbal and written format
- High IQ to match the EQ.
Working @ Edmunds.com:
Employees think it’s a pretty great place to work and some pretty impressive publications think it is too: we have been recognized as one of the best places to work by the Fortune Magazine and Great Places to Work, LA Business Journal (for the last 6 years!), Computerworld, and Built in LA. We've also been identified as one of the best workplaces specifically in Technology and also for Diversity and Asian Americans. In fact, our CEO, Avi Steinlauf, was rated as one of Glassdoor's Highest Rated CEOs! If you’re interested in learning more and joining our mission, we’d love to hear from you!
Edmunds will consider for employment qualified candidates with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of all applicable laws.