Director of Video Content Development at Ranker
Ranker is looking for a Director of Content Development to oversee new and existing online projects. Strong candidates will have the ability to incubate ideas and collaborate with other creatives then take it from pre-production through final delivery within a range of budget levels. Candidates must be able to clearly articulate and pitch video concepts; analysis competitors and performance data; direct talent; lead shoots; collaborate with editors, clients, and internal stakeholders; see a project through post-production, and stay on budget and schedule.
We are expanding production and distribution of content in multiple new and existing formats and looking for a strong, execution-focused leader to help us holistically grow this ecosystem which includes distribution on Facebook, Snap, YouTube, OTT, Ranker branded content channels, etc. This individual will be involved in the creative and production of great sharable content in multiple formats including ones built around Ranker’s voteable lists as well as verticals, which include Geek, Pop Culture, Horror, History, Fandom, Music, Gaming, and TV/Movies. In this unique role, you will work collaboratively on both the production and distribution of content in multiple formats and also work with new and existing partners to launch and manage syndication, branded content and social initiatives.
Working with a growing team of in-house producers and freelancers, you will help oversee the production of existing video series content (Weird History, Total Nerd, RankWorthy, Button Mash, etc.); work on developing new pilots and concepts with our team; oversee internal and external programming; help analyze performance results to impact planning; and work with our Marketing and Social teams to drive audience development strategies.
What You’ll Do
- Incubate and collaborate on the development of new video concepts as well as the refinement of existing projects. Work on internal development slates and branded content proposals with our sales team.
- Manage projects from concept through production to final delivery and analysis.
- Track video and audio production deliveries against production calendars and help ensure assets are approved in a timely and cost-effective manner and distributed on applicable platforms. You will oversee cost/ROI analysis.
- Coordinate with external distribution partners and internal teams to manage ongoing programming and audience growth. These include video specific platforms and partnerships like YouTube and Snapchat; internal teams that manage the distribution of content on Facebook, Instagram, etc.; Ranker.com; third-party syndication partners utilizing text and video content; podcast distribution; OTT; and other emerging platforms.
- Evaluate current production and delivery workflows and propose new, different, and better ways of improving operational efficiency. Help build a high performing team that can scale production efficiently. Help mentor younger employees as they evolve in their roles.
- Independently and proactively analyze content performance data and work with all teams to improve efficiency, cost, and revenue generation. Participate collaboratively in existing slate and new concept development and become the primary source of data-driven feedback. Help structure and execute testing methodologies when applicable.
- Manage and maintain monthly reporting and assist with strategic production, audience, and revenue planning.
- Minimum 5 years of experience in video production, and/or digital distribution. Experience with text and/or audio content is a plus as is relevant experience producing short-form video content for online audiences especially in areas relating to Ranker’s key verticals and pop-culture orientation.
- Strong project management and teambuilding skills and the ability to juggle multiple projects at one time. Ability to work effectively across production, distribution and audience development. The right person for this role will enjoy creating process and streamlining roles and responsibilities.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills. You should enjoy working with outside partners.
- Strong digital asset management background and familiarity with syndication methods.
- Bachelor's Degree, TV/Film Production, Communications, or similar preferred
Ranker is the definitive site for voteable content on just about everything… from The Best TV Shows to Binge Watch to The Social Issues You Care About Most. With half of our 50M UV’s coming from search and half from social, we have a deeply engaged audience, voting 21x and spending 5.5 minutes per visit. That’s more than E!, Vox and R29 combined.
Ranker sits at the intersection of passion and curiosity with rankings on nearly any topic from film to food. By voting on different list items, fans influence rankings on topics like “The Best TV Shows to Binge Watch” or “The Best Quarterback of All Time.” We also provide in-depth reporting on history, crime, and mysteries, broken up into easily digestible chunks that tell a cohesive story. Ranker is often a source for journalists, whether it is quoting a #1 ranking or reporting on a true crime story.