Director, Programming - Pluto at Pluto TV
Los Angeles, CA, US, 90069
Pluto TV, a ViacomCBS company, is the leading free streaming television service in America, delivering 250+ live and original channels and thousands of on-demand movies in partnership with major TV networks, movie studios, publishers, and digital media companies. Pluto TV is available on all mobile, web and connected TV streaming devices and millions of viewers tune in each month to watch premium news, TV shows, movies, sports, lifestyle, and trending digital series. Headquartered in West Hollywood, Pluto TV has offices in New York, Silicon Valley, Chicago and Berlin.
The Director, Programming is in charge of editorial choices, programming quality, and the ultimate success of Pluto TV categories and channels. The Director will manage a team of programmers responsible for all channels across six categories: Classic TV, Crime, Home+DIY, Gaming+Anime, En Espanol, Kids. This position is on the front line of revolutionizing the future of TV and is critical to achieving the Pluto TV mission of entertaining the planet.
OVERVIEW & RESPONSIBILITIES
This is a critical role with a wide range of responsibilities, including:
- Lead and manage two growing teams within the broader programming group (16 staff and freelance).
- Create strategies based on department KPI’s and ensure success in meeting those goals.
- Experimental mindset to develop and tinker with monthly, weekly, and daily schedules while using data to support the success of content, channels, programming, and scheduling.
- Facilitate work as a cohesive Editorial team by mentoring and providing a growth path for all team members.
- Maximize the quality of content for our viewers; researching and targeting premium content, understand what premium content means to Pluto TV, and schedule accordingly.
- Engage with the larger Pluto TV organization, partnering with the Promotion and Marketing teams, Content Ops, Live Ops, and Content Acquisition/Partner Relations teams to actively seek out and optimize content for assigned categories and channels.
- Develop repeatable stunts and strategies that drive retention and engagement across multiple audience targets with success being measured by data.
- Work closely with Content Partnerships to review and tirelessly research content and content catalogs from major entertainment brands, and independent creators.
- Suggest new channel and category ideas to find new growth opportunities.
- Join partner meetings when requested to pitch programming ideas and maintain and manage partner relationships where applicable.
We believe the right individual will have the following skills and experience in order to be successful in this role.
- 8+ years of experience in programming for major media outlets
- 4+ years of experience managing teams
- Expert knowledge of/with various Content Management Systems including best practices around metadata management
- Broad knowledge and passion for pop culture, TV, film and online video (i.e. being a “Pop Culture PhD”)
- Ability to analyze data and translate those insights into human behavior
- Proficiency with Google suite and data visualization tools (e.g.: Tableau)
- A balance of traditional and digital media programming experience a plus
- Ability to work cross-functionally to resolve complex issues
- Exceptional attention to detail
- Excellent project management skills, including the ability to manage multiple projects with varying deadlines
- Ability to work independently and meet tight deadlines with minimal supervision
ViacomCBS is an equal opportunity employer (EOE) including disability/vet.
At ViacomCBS, the spirit of inclusion feeds into everything that we do, on-screen and off. From the programming and movies we create to employee benefits/programs and social impact outreach initiatives, we believe that opportunity, access, resources and rewards should be available to and for the benefit of all. ViacomCBS is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, creed, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, marital status, disability, gender identity, gender expression, and Veteran status.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability or a disabled veteran, you may request a reasonable accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access. https://www.viacomcbs.com/careers as a result of your disability. You can request reasonable accommodations by calling 212.846.5500 or by sending an email to [email protected] Only messages left for this purpose will be returned.